Running

Mackenzie was confused. Her mind was telling her that it would be stupid to form a relationship with a man when she was a SHIELD agent. But her heart was telling her to go for it.

In her mind, having a relationship while being a spy wasn't smart. Spies don't form relationships easily and they are constantly moving and putting their own life on the line.

In her heart, a relationship was something Mackenzie always wanted. Growing up in the Red Room alongside her sister, she was never given the opportunity to have a relationship. Having someone there to hold her and kiss her and hug her when she was upset seemed like everything to the youngest living Romanova.

The Red Room made Kenzie hardcore, but she managed to pull her fun side through everything. Her sister, however, wasn't so lucky-

"Kenz?" Bucky's voice made the female jump in her position. She gave him a soft smile but looked back down at the street below.

She was sitting on the roof of her apartment complex. It was almost two in the morning but Mackenzie couldn't sleep.

"Mackenzie, what's bothering you?" Bucky sat next to the Russian.

"Nothing." She shrugged her shoulders lightly. "I thought you were asleep."

"I can't sleep well." Bucky sighed. "I sleep good only when you're with me."

"Oh. We can go back to bed if you want. I mean, if you're tired." Mackenzie started to get up but Bucky shook his head and pulled her back down next to him.

"Let's just talk."

"About...?"

"Anything."

"Okay." Mackenzie smiled to him and took his left hand in her own. "If you sleep on it wrong, does this arm hurt when you wake up?"

"It doesn't really hurt, its bearable."

"Oh." Kenzie started tracing the divots and lines on his arm.

"Kenzie, I killed a man in front of his daughter before." Bucky stared blankly at the black sky for a moment before looking to Mackenzie.

The statement caught her off guard but she wasn't phased by it.

"I accidentally shot Clint in the ass with a BB." She tried to make the subject not so... dark and depressive. But failed.

"I didn't do it on accident." There was a pause before he spoke again. "There was this woman, I don't even know why she was on HYDRA's hit list but... I, uh, I was given the orders to kill her and I did... She was eight months pregnant."

Mackenzie kept her demeanor soft and a gentle smile on her face as she kissed the top of Bucky's hand.

"If you're trying to scare me away, Barnes, it's not working." Mackenzie joked but when Bucky only looked down at his left hand, Kenzie became serious. "Why are you telling me these things, Bucky?"

"I don't know." He admitted. "I guess... I guess I'm just confused on why you would even want to be in the same room as me. Why would anyone want to be near me?"

"Because you're actually a really good guy." She murmured, making Bucky look down at her. "Steve's told me stories of you and I've met Peggy quite a few times. She's told me stories of how you and Steve were best friends and a bunch of good things about you."

"But I'm the Winter Soldier, Kenzie."

"My snowflake." Mackenzie leaned her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes. Bucky wanted to say something but couldn't think of anything that was appropriate for the moment.

So he just let Mackenzie lean against him as she fell asleep.

•*•*•

The sound of the front door swinging open made Mackenzie and Bucky jump up from the bed.

Mackenzie was the first to jump into action. She took Bucky's pistol from the floor, where it had been discarded by a half asleep soldier the night before, and pushed herself against the hallway wall.

She peeked around the corner and saw a HYDRA agent point his gun at her.

Bucky immediately jerked her back just in time for a bullet to lodge itself in the wall.

"Come on." Bucky took her small body and pushed the girl in front of him, towards the window in her bedroom.

Bucky threw the window open and basically pushed Mckenzie out of the window and on to the fire escape.

Her mind started working right and her body started moving. The two just woke up after all.

She threw herself on to a nearby dumpster. Bucky followed her, grabbing ahold of her hips as she began to stumble forward.

"Careful." He jumped down from the dumpster with Mackenzie in his arms.

"I can walk, ya know."

"Well you better start running." Bucky spoke as he started running himself. Mackenzie groaned and followed behind, closely.

Bucky slowed down so Mackenzie was in front of him and he took the gun from her. They turned a corner and he stopped, so Mackenzie did the same thing.

"No! Go!" Bucky shouted.

"No! Not without you!"

"Just do it!"

Mackenzie stomped her foot before taking off in a sprint down the sidewalk, pushing through the crowds of people.

The sound of a gun going off a few times made her look back. Bucky dad making his way through the pedestrians too.

Just as Mackenzie looked back, a man grabbed her throat, bringing her to a sudden stop and taking her breath away.

She lifted her feet up and kicked his face a few times before he let her go.

Mackenzie fell on to her side, Bucky shot the man with one hand as he picked Kenzie up with the other.

"Are you okay?" He asked. Mackenzie couldn't speak, she was trying to catch her breath. But she nodded. The two began to speed walk down the street. "We need to get out of here. HYDRA's going to start pouring into the city unless we leave."

"We aren't bringing anyone else into this." Mackenzie's voice was raspy as she spoke. "I don't want Nat or Steve getting hurt."

"Well we can't do this on our own."

"We'll argue about this later." Mackenzie started running again. They needed to cover as much ground as possible in the least amount of time if they wanted to live.

I haven't updated in forever but I have a really good excuse. I've been having really bad headaches and my doctor said that I could be using my phone too much and that's over stimulating my brain and he said I could only watch TV AND mess on my phone for 2 hours a day.

But I am not listening to that but I have been trying to cut back on using my phone.

And just an FYI this story is coming to an end! Maybe 20-25 chapters so just a heads up!

Vote and comment!!

<3 Kacey <3