Chapter 12

We stayed on the roof a little while longer. I knew I'd eventually have to go back home, but I was trying my best to delay having to say goodbye. This night had been one of the best nights I'd had in a long time.

After a few silent moments, I finally said, "Well, I guess I should be heading home soon."

"Yeah, it is getting pretty late." Neither of us made a move to get up. We instead sat staring at each other. Bolton looked like he was deciding whether he should say what was on his mind or remain silent. He chose the latter. He looked down, muttering to himself like he kept his thoughts to himself. He suddenly brushed past me. "I'd better go down first in case you fall."

Before I had time to react, he was already down the trestle. I was curious about what he wouldn't say, but I decided not to ask him about it. The possibilities of what was on his mind were still brewing in my head when I started down the trestle.

My thoughts were so distracting that I lost my footing and suddenly felt myself falling backwards. I was terrified of hitting the ground, but I didn't have to hold onto that fear for very long.

Bolton easily caught me in his arms. I instinctively threw my arms around his neck. Looking into his eyes from this close of a proximity left me breathless. I tried to convince myself that my heart was racing because of the fall, but I knew the truth. Bolton was making me feel things I'd never felt before, especially not with Jesse.

I again found myself wondering what would've happened if I had met Bolton first. The reality of what could've been left me with mixed emotions.

I pulled myself from my thoughts and finally managed to find my voice. "You caught me." Smooth move, Baylee. Way to state the obvious.

Bolton laughed slightly. "Don't sound so surprised. you should know that I'll always catch you when you fall."

My comeback died on my lips. That one line left me speechless. Of course, I probably couldn't have spoken then even if I'd wanted to. I was captured by Bolton's heated gaze. His eyes  trailed down to my lips, then locked back questioningly with mine. He was trying to decide whether or not he should kiss me.

I had never wanted a kiss so badly in my life.