"Let's welcome an exchange student from Belgium"

Start from the beginning

***
"Hey, Spike said he'd show me around town tonight,” Corey says. “Wanna come?" Ah, so he heard about Trina and feels sorry for me. Why else would he bother inviting me out with them otherwise?

 I shake my head.

"Why? Don't you do fun stuff anymore?" He asks. I sigh. The last thing I need is another psychiatrist on my tail. I sneak a glance at Trevor, who is oh-so-subtly attempting to listen to our conversation.

"What time?"

***
Ding Dong

I realize when I open the door that we have a slight problem. Today is Monday, and that means that Trevor’s parents are both working. Which used to mean, before The Bet, that Trevor would hang out at my house. Apparently, seeing as Trevor is standing outside my door, this is supposed to continue.

“Uh, Trevor…”

“Oh, did you have plans to go out or something?” Trevor asks, as though he didn’t overhear my conversation with Corey.

"Come with us. I'll say I invited you because we're neighbors." He shakes his head, but when Spike and Corey pull up to my house, he comes out of his place and sits in the back with me.

"We're neighbors," I explain to Corey.

"So you must be close," he says. I shake my head.

"Not especially.” Trevor looks out a window and doesn't respond. Corey nods and turns back around. Trevor and I are silent on our way into town. Spike and Corey talk about Belgium. I look out the window, all the landmarks bringing back memories. It's been a long time.

Spike parks the car in one of the parking buildings and we all get out. We start walking down the block. Spike points out the different hang outs. Jamba Juice, Pizza Hut, the karaoke place. We turn down the street.

"What's over here?" Corey asks, surprised that we're turning away from the rest of the restaurants. Spike wiggles his eyebrows.

"This is where the girls hang out," he responds. I stop. Uh....no. No thanks. Trevor stops a little ways ahead of me.

"You're not coming?" he questions. Spike and Corey turn around.

"I don't think it's a good idea to be around while you pick up chicks," I say with a fake, wavering smile. I used to hang out around here. A lot.

"We can wait at the Jamba Juice," Trevor says with concern. My face must've closed down. That's what I used to do when my therapist "tested" me. It's like a reflex now. They'll never know how many memories it brings back. They'll think I forgot.  It’s weird because people either don’t mention or don’t think it’s a bad thing.

"Actually, I feel like eating," says Corey, walking back towards me. "What's your favorite hangout?" I shrug.

"The karaoke place," I say.

"Let's go!" Corey yells, pumping his fist in the air.

"Go, go, GO!" yells Spike, once he's gotten over the fact that we're not checking out girls. He puts his hands on my shoulders and jumps up and down. I giggle before I can stop myself. Trevor follows us almost grudgingly.

I don't sing today. I just sit and watch Spike and Corey goof off. Trevor sits next to me, steaming.

"Why are you so upset?" I ask.

"Why do you stop yourself from having fun?"

"What are you talking about?" I ask, confused.

" You'll almost laugh, and then you'll stop yourself. Like you're not allowed to have fun. Why? What did you do wrong?”

I want to tell him that it’s just a reflex now, not something I do on purpose, but he cuts in.

"It's because of Trina, isn't it?" I look up at him, wide-eyed.

"We're gonna go get drinks," says Spike, his attention caught by Trina's name. He grabs Corey's elbow and drags him away.

"What does this have to do with Trina?" I ask slowly.

"My mom said something about your parents trying to force you to forget Trina. Is it true? Is that why you're like this? Because you have to remember her?"

"Want. I want to remember her." I say, looking down.

"You can remember her and still have fun," Trevor says earnestly, leaning forward to look into my face. I comb my bangs over my face with my fingers, but he pushes them away with his hand. "Trina would want you to be happy."

"Don't say things you know nothing about, Trevor," I say slowly, though I know he's right. Trina would want me to be happy. But right now, in a world where no one remembers Trina, me being happy would be too much. If I let myself forget her once, there's nothing, no one to bring me back.

"I know she'd want you to be happy," Trevor insists. "Don't punish yourself for something that isn't your fault."

"I don't blame myself," I say.

"Then why do you do this to yourself? Why do you giggle only when you can't help it? Why do you look so annoyed with yourself afterwards? Why don't you go to parties? Why don't you get out and do something? Why don't you make friends? Why, Haley? Why?"

I'm silent. He takes a deep breath and leans back next to me.

"I'm sorry," he says finally. "It just…bothers me. I don’t like seeing you all hurt."

"Neither did my parents," I say finally, leaning back as well. He stiffens at the comparison.

"I don't want you to forget," he says. "I just want you to explain it to me.”  I'm silent. "Don't worry. I'm not asking you to say anything now. I just want you to remember something. You can tell me anything. You know that, right?"

Relief washes over me. I thought he'd try to force it out of me.

"Thank you," I say quietly. "I thought if I told you who I was you'd get pushy and try to force me to get better." He shakes his head.

"Never. I want you to be yourself, that's all. If I can help you I will, but I don't want to force you." I let out a deep sigh. I wanted to hear that from my parents. From my therapist. From anyone. And here they are. The words I needed to hear for so long.

"Are you going to cry?" Trevor asks. I let out a chuckle.

"I don't cry."

"Not even when she died?" He's incredulous.

"Nope."

"That's not healthy." I get up to help Spike with the drinks.

"Don't be silly."

_______________________________________________________________________________

Oh, Trevor. He gets jealous far too easily. Meanwhile, this chapter is dedicated to Dori_smiles_100 because guess what? If you would just look a little to the right (Or, if you're on your wattpad app, go to the page with the pictures) you will see my amazing new cover! As designed by, well, Dori_smiles_100. It's so beautiful! *tears up* I swear, it's beautiful and I love it, love it, love it. You know you have fans when you wake up one morning (or, in my case, get bored and check your wattpad messages in the school library) to find a book trailer, a new cover, and so many votes that you're allowed to post for two consecutive days! I sincerely love you guys!

My book trailer is also finished, and is over on the right for those of you on the comp. If you're on the wattpad app, you can just wait and check it out later, I suppose. Or search for "Queen0Winter" on youtube. She's the maker of the book trailer.

Awkward Teacher Quote #12:
"You know how you test for illegal immigrants in trucks going across the border? Stop the bus, open the back, and set a couple boxes on fire. If you hear screaming, 'Hey! I found some people!' If not, 'Eh, keep driving.' "