"Trevor, pick that up and read it out loud to the class."

"Come on, Hales, isn't he hot?" Trina whispers to me from her sleeping bag. "I know we hate his guts but he's hot."

I giggle. "Who, Trevor? Yeah, he's definitely hot." There's a long silence.

"Haley?"

"Mmm?"

“Would you be mad if I said I liked him?" I sit propped up on one elbow and try to see her in the dark.

"Are you for reals?"

"I-I think so. Are you mad?" I laugh and lie back down.

"No way! I think you're stupid, but how could I be mad at you?"

"I know, I feel dumb, too. But whenever I see him smile or something...I don't even know. It's like butterflies in my stomach and I start blushing before I know it."

"So what are you gonna do about it?"

"I dunno. I mean, it’s almost summer and we won’t see him at all, then. Maybe I’ll get over him by next year or something. It’s not like he’s ever been particularly nice to me or anything.”

"Yeah. Like, how many girlfriends has he had anyway? Like…two? Sometimes I wonder if he’s gay. ”

“That would suck,” Trina says with a laugh. “Especially for all those girls who really like him.”

We both turn silent, thinking of our friend Eloise who danced with him once at a seventh grade social and has yet to stop crushing on him.

“Someone needs to teach him a lesson,” Trina says slowly. “Show him how much it sucks to have a crush on someone who doesn’t like you back.”

I wake up with a smile on my face. Trust Trina to give me an even better reason to play with the guy. The pleasant feeling of seeing her again lasts through most of breakfast and the ride to school. As I settle into my first period English class, I think seriously about how I’m going to go about this whole bet thing.

I don't want to make him fall for me. It requires too much effort and I don't want to have to deal with the consequences. What about friends? What if he considers me someone he trusted? No, then there’s always the possibility of him feeling guilty and not going through with the bet. Maybe if I just infuriate him by not complying with any of his idiotic commands and then having him realize that I’ve been playing him for a sap the entire time. This seems like the best solution. I can always make it seem like I’m actually interested in him, or like he’s actually succeeding. What a shock it would be for him in the end! Bottom line, though, I have no desire to hurt him. He isn't someone I feel passionately about in any way. I just want to have a little fun.

I’m so lost in thought about my plans that I don't notice the hush that falls over the room when Trevor walks in. He’s five minutes early, for once. He wanders the room, talking to this girl and that. I covered my eyes with my bangs so he doesn't know that I’m watching. He keeps looking over. Gauging for jealousy, I suppose. Finally, determining that I’m not the slightest bit interested in him or his escapades, he comes and sits down beside me.

"Haley, I haven't talked to you in forever!" I sigh inwardly as I pull my social mask on and turn into who I was "supposed" to be.

"I know, right? It's been like, what, 3 years since you spoke to me?" My voice is bubbly and friendly, as though I don't mind that he hasn't spoken to me. That much is true, at any rate. Trevor turns slightly red and I wink at him. "It’s okay. I know your mouth's been extremely busy these past few years." His face betrays his shock. The only thing he knows about me is that my best friend died 3 years ago. He was expecting someone scary, not normal. He relaxes.