chapter six- running

• Dedicated to Jordan Purdy

“Why didn’t you tell us? We could have helped you stop it.” Ben stood in front of me as I just sat on the floor. Tears ran down my cheeks making clear hot trails in the dirt and blood that covered my body, I pulled the blanket closer around my middle, covering my naked chest and torn jeans. He stood there proud and full of rage, I was the reason he was so angry and slowly it burned through me just like when I Changed forms. Rips showed unbroken flesh on my thighs, arms and face; but blood covered the surrounding areas. Anger bottled up in my chest and I couldn’t control it. The words burst out of me.

I stood in my fit of anger, wanting to leap and attack him. Rip open his vampire flesh and show him who I really was. “You couldn’t have helped me. This Changing is in my blood; my blood is what makes me the monster you’re so afraid of. It is who I am! And if you can’t accept me as the wolf I am,” I lost my strength; I didn’t want to fight anymore. My voice lowered, and with it my head. “Then I’m just going to have to leave.” I started at the floor in defeat, I didn’t want to leave and live in secret. But if I couldn’t be accepted here,I couldn’t anywhere. I slumped back to the floor, the energy I had disappeared; looking back up I saw Andy had stopped texting the group about the emergency meeting at the cave. Kiri stood closer, a mix of horror and pity on her face. I deserve the horror, after all I am a monster feared for thousands of years because of the myths that are attached to my name like a collar. I fell asleep for a short time, the others didn’t wake me until people began arriving they knew I needed the rest. Kiri came to wake me; she was the one who draw the short straw I guess. She shook me gently, whispering my name as to rouse me further.

Faye arrived first, she rushed over her voice was thickly coated with concern. “Dylan! Are you okay? What happened? Did we get the wolf?” The wolf, it was my new nickname. It suited I guess.

“Get away from me before I hurt you.” Menace slipped into my voice, I wanted her to fear me like the rest of the world. I deserve no friends just disgust.

“What do you mean hurt me? Your only human your can’t hurt me sweetie.” She slowly walked forward, drinking in my state before the look of confusion at my appearance. “What happened to you Dylan?”

My anger took hold again; I didn’t feel the pain as I Changed into a wolf again. Snarling I turned on her and leapt over her small body. They all seemed small compared to my large body, even as a human I am taller, faster, and stronger. I was the prefect killing machine; blood thirst, hating, pain. It’s like the deepest part of me; I’ll never be anything more than a killer. I used a power I’d never know of before. I wanted to scream, shout, and throw my emotion at them through the form of words. I mentally screamed, it was a blood chilling scream and as soon as I thought it they heard it. I watched as their heads turned in my direction, a look of shock on some and horror and confusion on the others. They’d heard my scream, but it was only in my head.

“W-W-What was that?” Faye shook and stammered her way to the floor. The rest just stood, I concentrated on being human, bringing my pain and anger back into the bottle. Slowly, painfully I turned human. I slowly walked to the blanket on the floor, and carefully wrapped it around myself so no one could see my nakedness.

“I am not human. I never was Faye; I’m the wolf you’ve been hunting. It’s so nice to let you meet the real me.” Calmness slipped in sarcasm as though they were meant to be together, a cold dark humour met my tone as perfectly as my Change just was. She lifted herself off the floor; tears fell down from her cheeks to the floor making a small wet slash as it connected to the ground. She put on a brave face as she walked away, but the horror behind her eyes were as clear as day.

“Are you happy now?” I was close to spitting at his feet in disrespect but I tried being the stronger person and didn’t. He looked as mortified as the others after my mental outburst, if it was even possible for wolves to talk mentally to each other they would have to be in the same pack. My nightmare man explained that much; packs were like family to the wolves, people who you trusted and loved. In a way I guess these people are my pack; the closest I’ll ever get to one if anything.

“I’m sure you understand Dylan. You couldn’t have kept it much longer. We would have found out eventually.” Ben’s voice was the vision of calm, I hated the tone he’d chosen to use; it was mocking.

“But at least then I could have done it with even a small amount of honour.”

“What honour is there for you? Honestly you are more of abnormality that the vampenze, or vampires. Wolves are savage killers, at least we can leave our prey alive.” He was hurting me now. I knew he meant it. Tears cut off my vision and I was shaking badly. I looked into the eyes of my friends, or better to put it used to be friends. Kiri looked almost sad, but I saw the fiery anger behind her eyes. Ben was full of rage, his fangs cut into his lower lip and blood trickled down in small lines ducking under his chin. Both Claire and Jake looked full of horror and fear. A fear made by lies told for years, the lies of how wolves were made and how they behaved. Only Faye looked on me with sadness, she was the only one I could trust and I just ruined it. I wanted to run from this, all that was ever involved with these haters. My leg muscles bulged and tensed prepared for my next Change, the one I had no control over. My emotions still ruled my body just as any human. I couldn’t help myself; I needed to run.

Pain began to pour through me, into the cracks in my heart and soul. I said a few last words before the wolf took over and I blacked out, given into the full beast.

“I shall not return to spoil your lives again. If you even need me now I won’t help.” I turned wolf, my last conscious was thrown outward as a mental message.

“I must go wage my own war.”