Chapter 24: Seeing Reason

Start from the beginning

I just stared at Harley. I didn't look at Aldrich because I knew, if I did, I will launch myself at him and try to throttle him even if that ends up hurting me. I know, deep inside, the Harley that understood me is there covered in jealousy, arrogance and pride. He wouldn't let this happen. The rational Harley will always be just and respectful to human life. I couldn't even burst in tears at the moment, I was just numb.

Numb to the point of just accepting it.

"Tell me this isn't true," I whispered though I knew the answer to that. He averted his gaze and for the nth time that I stayed here, he broke my heart over again. Harley, the man I've trusted so much...

All comes to this.

Aldrich must have been watching me because he threw his head back and laughed maniacally. "Oh this is so rich!" he piped out, looking like a mad man he is. "The lycan ambassador played by her own! Tell me how it feels like getting the end of the stick."

"How about you tell me what it will feel like if Calvin takes off your head off your shoulder?" I snapped back at him, feeling the overwhelming amount of displeasure, betrayal and anger shoot out my mouth as an outlet of venting. "Or the feeling when you realized Giovanni had been lying to you about me not being pregnant with Calvin's child? You fùcking tell me, you sonofabitch."

That wiped Aldrich's smile off his face and his eyes fluctuated a color of red and black. He stood up harshly off his chair, knocking the wood down at the process as he steeped towards me with the intent of death. I just stared at him as he continued approaching and would still be only if Harley didn't let out a threatening growl.

"Don't," he hissed at Aldrich who stopped in his tracks. "Go near my Luna. You touch her, you die."

Aldrich snapped his gaze at Harley and pursed his lips in a thin line. "You and I had a mutual agreement--"

"--that doesn't concern her," Harley finished as he pushed me further back until I'm back to the grass, still glaring at the vampire. "You and I will talk. But you will not touch her."

"Why don't you let him, Harley?" I asked vehemently. "Why don't you? You're just going to betray me anyway, right?"

"Stay out of this--"

Aldrich's eye brows raised. "Yes, why don't you let me--"

Harley's gaze sliced to Aldrich. "Don't start."

"--and you'd kill me too. Kill me in the end," I continued rambling on as Aldrich began speaking too. Harley must had enough because he let out a loud roar which shut all of us up. The alpha power radiated deep from within him, forcing my wolf to submit. Aldrich pursed his lips as he stared at the menacing alpha male before him. Shrouded by the moon light, I could barely see the vampire but I knew I need to escape from here; I don't need to see him or hear what he had to say because I knew it would lead to my death either way.

"Go stay with Iris, Holly." Harley's voice came as a low growl, a warning that I should obey. I just stared at the shell of my once loved friend, the loyal pride of the pack fallen because of his love. At some point, I felt guilt. Harley is the type of man you rely on and to betray his own friend like this meant the has succumbed to depths of selfishness.

As if magical, Iris appeared behind me staring menacingly at Aldrich who stare down at me. Iris grabbed my arm in which I shrugged away rudely, keeping my gaze at Harley and Aldrich. Again, Iris grabbed me harder and pulled me away even if I bury my heels in the grass. Still, Iris is a warrior lycan, she overpowered me immediately and dragged me away. I tried pulling away but I knew it was futile.