Chapter Eight

Elizabeth was walking down the steps of the astronomy tower after class. She had stayed behind to ask Professor Sinistra a couple of questions about the latest assignment. It turns out, all they had to do was find the planets in the sky and be able to tell where they were from a chosen location on the Hogwarts grounds.

She let out a yawn, noting on how heavy her books seemed and how hard it was to keep her eyes open. Elizabeth decided it would be best if she ran the rest of the way. The adrenaline should hopefully keep her awake long enough to reach the Ravenclaw dormitories. With that motivation, she took off in a sprint, racing time down the stairs of the spiraling tower. She was out the tower in no time. She was high on adrenaline and giddy as she stepped out, only to find that the steps outside weren't entirely stable.

Her arms spun around her like she was swimming, trying to regain balance on the icy surface. Her books went flying out of her arms and down the steps. Elizabeth gasped and skated downwards to grab them. Once she regained her composure, she turned on to the bridge.

"Ah!" Elizabeth nearly screamed a force bumped into her, sending her tumbling to the ground. "It's too late to walk," she groaned.

"Lizabeth!" Harry's voice brought her back from her grumbling. Her eyes shot up to meet his bright green ones. "I've been looking for you!" He gave a quirky smile, "Need help getting up?"

Elizabeth shook her head, her gingerish hair hitting the sides of her face as she did so. She stood up in one quick movement and smoothed her robes out with her unoccupied hand.

"I'd feel bad if I didn't warn you... So, be careful on the stairs. They're a bit icey," Elizabeth shivered.

"Ok thanks, is that why you're all wet?" Harry replied. He looked like he was going to stop, but his mouth just kept going, "I mean... I'm sure that I could make you wetter but that's the wettest I've ever seen you yet."

Elizabeth stared for a moment in disgust and slight shock. Harry hadn't made a comment like that since October. "Um... You said you were looking for me?"

"Oh yeah! I was just wondering if you wanted to go to the ball with me." Harry's eyes were glittering with hope, his smile shining like the stars above.

"Harry... Somebody has already asked me and I said yes. I'm sorry," Elizabeth said, feeling as if her words were knives digging into his back.

"Ok. Great. Fine. No problem. Good," Harry brushed it off. He turned away from Elizabeth and she swore that she saw a single, delicate tear run down his left cheek. He took off, back across the bridge and Elizabeth couldn't help but feel like she broke his heart.

ϟϟϟ

It was spare period the next day and Elizabeth was lounging on one of the benches outside. The soft breeze and light snowfall caused her to lull, her head resting on Draco's shoulder.

"If you fall asleep, you'll get frostbite," Draco whispered to her.

"I won't," Elizabeth murmured, "you'll keep me warm."

Draco sighed, and she assumed that he shook his head, too. Soon, one of his arms were draped around her and she sighed happily. She was just beginning to drift off into sleep when there was sudden screaming.

Elizabeth jolted upright, looking side to side for the cause.

"What the hell was that?" She asked.

Draco was wearing a sly grin and chuckled, "Weaselbee just asked Fleur Delacour out."

She gave him an odd look, "How does that explain the screaming?"

"He screamed it at her," He shrugged like it was obvious.