Two

"Guinevere!" My father called to me from the kitchen. "Would you hang the washing up for me, dear?"
"Sure thing, Father," I replied, rolling off the sofa where I was reading To Kill A Mockingbird for my English homework. I shovelled all the wet washing into the washing basket and took it along the hall of our little flat to hang it up in the bathroom. Elyan, Father and I weren't well off; there's only so much you can afford on a Blacksmiths wage, and it wasn't much. But we were happy as we were. If we had each other, we were content.
Elyan walked past the bathroom after being out with Arthur and the lads playing rugby in the park, completely covered from head to toe in mud. I smiled at him as he came towards the bathroom, enquiring about how long I would be so that he could shower. "Are you okay, Gwen?" He asked, frowning after I'd answered him.
"Yeah, Elyan, I'm fine," I replied, shrugging as I hung a shirt on the shower rail. "Why wouldn't I be?"
"Merlin has been saying you've not been yourself recently, and Arthur is noticing it too. Ever since Ygraine died, he hasn't noticed much about others, but he's noticed this. So it must be big," Elyan explained.
I sighed as I hung up a dress of mine and turned to face Elyan. "I'm just worried about Arthur."
Elyan just snorted. "Gwen. We're all worried about Arthur."
"No, it isn't just that, Elyan," I said, knowing exactly what he was thinking. Arthur hadn't been right since his mother died five months ago, and it was only natural, Ygraine was a wonderful woman, Uther, Arthur and Morgana were lucky to have had her in their lives. But this was something else. Something bigger.
"What is it, then?" Elyan prompted me as I didn't continue my sentence.
"It's Mordred," I sighed.
"Why am I not surprised?" Elyan half chuckled. "What's the crazy cousin done now?" He grinned, his eyes glazing over with a crazy expression.
"Seriously, Elyan, this isn't funny," I glared at my jerk of a brother. Deep down, Eylan had a heart of pure gold, but he liked playing the clown. And in moments such as these, it bugs me.
"Sorry," he replied, sheepishly smiling at me and staying quiet.
"Mordred hasn't done anything. Yet. And that's what I'm worried about. I know him well enough to know that he wouldn't dare try something here-"
"But he might try something somewhere else," Elyan finished for me.
I nodded grimly in reply. "Exactly. And we have that trip to the forest next week. With the way Arthur and Mordred are going recently, I wouldn't put it past either of them to do something to the other."
"Would you feel better if one of us lads stuck to Arthur like glue for that trip?" Elyan offered, going in for a hug, but stopping himself at the last minute, remembering all the mud that he was wearing.
I smiled gratefully at Eylan, see, heart of gold underneath the jerk! "Yes, thanks Elyan."
"Anything for you, Guinevere," he grinned at me.
"How's Lancelot fitting in?" I asked, changing the subject quickly before I got too into the situation with Arthur and his cousin. It wasn't my business after all, but I couldn't help being worried.
"He seems shy, but an absolute beast at Rugby. He's as skinny as a stick, but by heck can he pack a punch! Arthur said he should try out for the Rugby team next year."
"Wow, that good, huh?" I giggled.
"He is," Elyan smiled, "Arthur was very impressed."
"Sounds like Lancelot is getting on fine," I said happily, it's always nice to know that the new kids fit into Camelot High so easily. "I'm done now, Elyan. Go have your shower, you stinky boy."
Elyan raised his eyebrows at me, "You're so lovely," he snorted.
"I learnt from the best!" I called back in reply as the bathroom door got shut and locked after I escaped with the now empty washing basket.
I put the basket back in its home by the washing machine, retrieved my book and flopped down onto my bed to read it in the comfort of my covers. Not that I got very far into it as my phone buzzed into life beside me.
"Hello?" I answered as I picked it up, forgetting to look at the caller ID.
"Hey Gwen," Arthur chirped down the phone, sounding very spritely.
"Arthur, hi!" I replied, slightly surprised. "You sound happy."
"Yeah, I've had a good day," he said.
"Good time playing Rugby then?"
"It was great."
"Okay, what's going on Arthur?" I asked suddenly, remembering what happened last time he was this chirpy. I had bruises for weeks afterwards, but it was a fun day out in Camlann forest, just us two larking about, building dens and climbing trees. It was the last time Arthur was properly himself before Ygraine got ill.
"Nothing! Why would there be anything going on? I haven't phoned you in forever, so I thought I would. Oh, and keep the Saturday after the Camlann trip free," He instructed me.
"Why..?" I inquired.
"No reason. See you at school!" He gabbled quickly before hanging up the phone. I do wonder about that boy sometimes.
I chuckled lightly, settling down to get back into To Kill A Mockingbird. Most people hated reading it for GCSE's next year, but I was quite enjoying it, even if I wanted to do Of Mice And Men like Elyan was doing. I found the tale of George and Lenny much more engaging than Atticus Finch despite it tackling some more relevant issues than the racism in Of Mice And Men.
"Guinevere! Eylan! Tea time!" Father called.
"Coming!" I yelled back, sticking the book mark in my book and joined Father and Elyan at the dinner table.