Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

“That depends,” he replies. “Human food or our food?”

My smile grew wider. “I like the way you think.”

***

An hour later, Sebastian and I are both well fed having picked up our meals from the Mystic Falls Grill. We leave the bodies in the back, hoping to send a message. If I did not get my family back, I would rip apart the entire time until I found Stefan and tore him apart limb by limb.

Sebastian wipes his mouth with the corner of his sleeve and steps next to me. His hand reaches up to caress my cheek.

“You were always more beautiful after you fed,” he says softly.

I respond by punching him in the arm. “Stop acting like such a softy. I liked you better when you were a gentleman, not a sap.”

He laughs and starts to say something but my focus is suddenly somewhere else and I feel the world around me go silent. Sebastian’s mouth is still moving and I can tell he is still talking to me but I can’t register a single word he is singing.

Alayne, listen to me. It’s the familiar voice again, the one I hadn’t heard in so long reaching out to me. Alayne, you need to stop being so reckless and stop following Niklaus. You know this never turns out well.

What do you want? I answer the voice I am hearing. Where are you? How are you communicating with me?

At times, the veil between our worlds is thin and when it is, that is when I can reach out to you, says the voice of a woman.

Can you help me? I plea. I need to know where the others are.

The spirits have them, the spirits are hiding and protecting them.

Where?

I cannot tell you precisely, you must figure that out yourself, says the voice. However, I can tell you one thing. The house is old and abandoned and you will need to look past the glamour to see the true picture.

What does that even mean? I think to myself.

The voice in my head answers me, reading my mind. You will know what to do when the time comes. I must leave now.

Wait, I beg. There is so much more I need to say to you.

I can almost hear the voice smile in my head. That time will come shortly.

Wait, I beg again but it’s too late. I can already feel the world coming back into focus.

“Alayne? Alayne!”

I blink a couple times and shake my head, glancing around to try to figure out where I am.

“Alayne?” Sebastian repeats himself again.

I glance at him and notice the worry on his face.

“What’s wrong?” his concern shows.

“Sorry, I blanked out there for a moment,” I admit. “What were we doing?”

“Well, I was suggesting that we go out on a date tonight before you so politely lost interest in our conversation,” he says blushingly.

“Sebastian, are you blushing?” I ask.

“No,” he mumbles.

“Aw you’re so cute!” I pinch his cheeks before I slap him across the face. “Snap out of it and stop acting like a lovesick moron.”