When Life Starts to Look Better, Remember it can Always Get Worse

Best Friends with Benefits

Chapter 5 Ending: "One Day. And I'll be damned if Goode doesn't prove it to you." "Ash. He doesn't see me that way. I'm just average. I just -" "Stop. You're not average, Katie. You will never be average. And if Connor doesn't tell you that, I'll personally kick his ass." "He's my best friend, Ash. He doesn't see me that way. And I am average. Have been my whole life." "You don't even see it," he said incredulously, "but you will. One day."

Chapter 6: When life starts to look better, remember it can always get worse.

Katie's POV

"So, Ash and I are done," I told Connor as he sat on the end of my bed, playing with the strings of my blanket.

"Really?" he asked, propping himself up on his knees and letting his hands go on either side of my feet. His sparkling eyes met mine and for the first time in the past couple of days, the smile fully reached through his gorgeous orbs.

I felt my stomach clench, butterflies fluttering around causing a storm to erupt inside my stomach as his intense eyes met mine. I could only nod in response.

"Good," he said, climbing up on the bed so his strong legs straddled my waist.

His lips kissed the small patch of exposed skin along my waist from wear my shirt had ridden up when my back arched, pleasure tingling through my whole body.

My eyes closed, my chest tightening and my hands balling the sheets into my fists.

My mouth opened slightly, my breath coming out in slight pants as Connor trailed his lips up my stomach, lingering on my collar bone before heading up the side of my neck and behind my ear.

I sighed his name, letting it roll off my tongue without really thinking about it. I could feel his lips twitch up into a smirk as the animalistic sound fell from my lips, my hands itching to reach out and pulling those lips to my own.

Connor breathed out, the hot air sending a chill down my spine and distracting me long enough for Connor to reposition himself, his hips pressing hard into mine, his entire weight leaning on one of his arms as the other wrapped around me, pulling my waist closer to him and his lips settling against my slightly opened ones.

He let out a moan as I arched up into him, pressing my lips harder against his in desperation.

He smells like he always did, warm and safe. Purely Connor. The edge of sex mixed with vanilla and the hint of sweat even though I know for a fact he showered this morning.

I let my hands release the sheets as his lips went back down my body, the arm that was wrapped around my waist unraveling and reaching for the hem of my pink tank top.

"Wait," I breathed out, pressing one of my hands lightly pressing against his chest and taking a giant gulp of air, "What about Kate?"

"Kate's a bitch," Connor said dismissively, his lips barely getting the words out before they pressed against the skin of my neck.

"Connor," I mumbled, ignoring the sensations going on in my body to push his away again. "You didn't seem to think she was a bitch this morning," I pointed out.

"Yeah, well, that was when you were busy hanging out with your new best friend," he snapped, starting to roll away from me.

"Con," I laughed slightly, grabbing onto his shirt and stopping him from getting too far, "Ash isn't my new best friend."

"Well, you sure were friendly to him this morning for someone you're supposedly over."

I wanted to laugh again, but I suppressed it, pulling Connor up to meet my lips instead, letting that do the talking for me. I thought back to when we were shopping this morning, the entire gang there as Ash pestered me to tell Connor the truth.