Chapter Six

Rio's POV

"What's going on with Oz?" Rio asked Andre Black as she ladled soup into a waiting bowl. The soup kitchen was packed with the men and women living on the streets of Wywano, New Mexico. Rio's heart broke with every new face in her line for free dinner. It was dreadful that these people had nothing and no one. Rio didn't even know what she'd think if she was in the same position as these poor people. That was part of the reason why she wanted to go into the Peace Corps. She would rather be doing something of use than sitting at home and reveling in all the things these people didn't have.

Her neighbor, the only neighbor she would willingly talk to because he wasn't a jerk, shrugged. He spooned soup into a bowl for a woman not much older than Rio's mother.

"God bless you," the woman rasped. She smiled at Andre, revealing her black gums. Andre shivered. The main reason why he volunteered in the soup kitchen was so he could watch over Rio for Oz. Andre knew his best friend would kill him if he didn't protect the only human living in their neighborhood.

"Well you should know. He's your best friend, right?" asked Rio. "I mean, he normally doesn't wave and say hello to me. Besides, you were there. Shouldn't you know why he did it?"

"Maybe he waved because there was a fly?"

Rio rolled her eyes. "Why would he say hi to a fly?"

"I don't know. Why are you even talking to me, anyway?" asked Andre. "Aren't you the girl who doesn't talk to anyone in our neighborhood? And despises most of us?

"Maybe I just want to know what's going on because it was really strange," commented Rio. Then it dawned on her, "Did his mother put him up to this?"

Andre shrugged again, but Rio could see right through it.

"She did! Didn't she?" Rio exclaimed, slapping the soup into the waiting bowl with more force than necessary. "Oh my God. Violet told him to be nice to me, didn't she?"

"I don't know," said Andre. "All I know is that he waved at you in the hallway. What's so bad with that?"

Andre turned his focus to the homeless people in front of him, waiting patiently for food. Rio sighed. She knew it was too good to be true. Oz de la Vega is nothing but a spoiled rotten rich kid who would never be kind to her by his own free will.

A nice Oz, snorted Rio. What a thought.

Hello my loves!

Isn't Andre sweet?! I love him already.

BTW... Tyler Hoechlin is so hawt!

Bye loves!