Chapter Thirteen: Talking With Tadashi

"Make it quick," Tadashi said as you found an empty hallway to talk. "I have an assembly to get to."

"Whatever," you muttered. "Listen, you're probably wondering why I sneaked into your dear home, but-"

Tadashi frowned. "Yeah, that was pretty confusing. You invaded my privacy."

"That's not important right now!" you whisper-yelled. "Anyway, I just wanted to say. . . I don't know, sorry?" You were fumbling with your dignity, and dang, were you embarrassed. "For insulting your Band-Aid chucker and invading your privacy?" 

Tadashi blinked for a moment. Then he laughed. Your eye twitched. You tried to be nice and now he was laughing at you?

"You were seriously stressing over that?" Tadashi laughed. "Hey, I'm not the guy to hold a grudge. It's okay."

Thank goodness. "Sweet. I got that over with. Bye." You walked away.

"Whoa, what? That's all? You dragged me over here to say sorry?" Tadashi gaped. "You could have saved us five minutes if you just apologized on the spot."

"I'm not the girl to embarrass myself apologizing in front of other people," you replied. 

"What is there to be embarrassed about?" he asked.

You turned around, exasperated. "Look, Just because I said sorry doesn't mean my thoughts about you changed. It means my stupid friends can stop pestering me about liking you or something."

"Does that mean you're going to stop talking to me on (Virtual RP Game)?" Tadashi asked a little quietly, as if he was scared of the answer.

"I don't know. Maybe." You glanced out at the convention.

"You don't want to go out there again, huh?" Tadashi asked, sitting down and leaning against the wall.

You sighed. "I feel like I'm sticking out."

"I know that feeling."

Another thought popped into your head, and you decided to blurt it out, no matter how risky it was. "Do you know the SFIT guy?"

"Callaghan?"

"I think it's him. What does he do? You know, for a living?" You walked back to him and sat down against the wall across from him.

Tadashi thought for a moment. "He teaches at SFIT. And makes robots for a side job. He's pretty famous for it."

"Why does he do it?"

"Uh. . . because it interests him? I don't know. He needs to keep his daughter alive, anyway. A handful of people don't appreciate him, since he's sent out a bunch of robots once. They all thought they were real people, and he got in trouble when the malfunctioned and freaked everyone out."

"Would you believe me if I said I knew one of those robots?"

Tadashi looked up. "What?"

"I had a best friend for a long time. . . turned out she was a fake. A robot."

"Robots can be friends."

"Yeah, but I was tricked! I was so friggin' gullible and thought a robot could be my best friend!" Your voice dropped to a low murmur. "That's why I don't really like Callaghan. He just said 'sorry' like that was going to do anything!" 

Tadashi gaped at you, and you turned away bitterly. "Yeah, sorry. Don't tell anyone though." He nodded. "So, is Callaghan going to be there?" you asked.

"Yeah. But, (Y/N)," Tadashi said. "Is that why you're scared of robots?"

"What! Who told you that?" 

"Emil. (Y/N), you should treasure your moments with your robot best friend. They can listen, speak, and comfort. They make good friends."

"No way. She was just a robot."

Tadashi looked slightly irked. "Just a robot?"

"Yeah," you challenged. "Just a robot. What are you going to do about it? It's true."

Tadashi sighed. "Alright. But I guess it's important for you to know that Callaghan's testing out his lifelike robots again."

You froze. "Wait, what?"

"He makes a bunch every few years, then sends them out to test them. He usually ships them to the people who already experienced the malfunction, since they went through this before and will be prepared."

"He'll send one to me?" you squeaked, head spinning. "H-how do you know this?"

"He was talking about his career in the SFIT tour," Tadashi said. "Why? What's wrong?" His face filled with realization. "Oh, yeah."

You grabbed his shoulders. "You gotta help me."

Tadashi shook you off. "Why? What can I do? I thought you hated me."

"Yeah, but you're a total nerd in robotics. If I ever get one, then you can destroy it for me. Come on, please! I'll die if I have to go what I went through a few years ago." Your hands flew to his shoulders again, shaking him wildly. "I'm begging you."

"No, you're not, you're just being annoying and pressuring me into helping you."

"(Y/N)-chan?" a voice called at the end of the hallway. You looked up, releasing Tadashi, to see Emil. "The assembly started," Emil said. "Gomen-nasai. Did I interrupt?"

"It's nothing," Tadashi said, getting up. "Thanks, Emil." Then he left.

* * *

The plot is moving so slowly I'm sorry guys T-T

~Clover