Chapter Seven: Tamagoyaki

"Ohayo, (Y/N)-chan!" 

You wanted to leap out of bed and punch whoever had the nerve to wake you up so early in the morning. But at the same time, you wanted to ignore it and go back to sleep. 

A delicious smell floated past your nose, and you opened an eye to see Emil smiling in the doorway leading to the kitchen. You sat up, deciding not to be so moody since the smell was obviously coming the kitchen and you were hungry. "What time is it?" you asked groggily.

"It's eight o' clock," Emil responded. "Anyway, I made breakfast!"

"Whatever," you muttered. Emil had a thing for cooking and baking, and you usually found him cooking stuff at strange times. Like when he announced he was going to make you some cupcakes at four on the morning last month. "Are my parents back?"

Emil pulled out the kitchen towel he had tucked into his belt and shook his head. "No. But they called you. They'll be back in the afternoon. Allen called, too." He put away his makeshift apron. 

"Oh, yeah. You have to get to his house at ten or something." You got up and stretched. "I'm surprised you stayed the night, though. Now Allen's going to suspect things."

Emil looked guilty. "Gomen'nasai, (Y/N)-chan. Don't worry about him. He likes to make trouble." He brightened up. "I made tamagoyaki! It's really good!"

"What's that," you asked flatly. It sounded exotic, and you weren't in the mood. 

"You'll see!" Emil said happily. "Come on, I set everything up really nicely!" He hurried into the kitchen, with you staggering behind. You looked up to see the kitchen island had been set with small plates and colorful food on top, along with chopsticks. Emil had even dug around and found a (F/C) tablecloth to put over the marble top. 

"I can't believe you found those," you said, looking at the small plates and chopsticks. Your mother had bought them to use at a welcome party for some new Japanese neighbors. Their daughter turned out to be quite rude and they moved away last year.

Emil hurried over to the oven and lifted a square-shaped pan. "See, doesn't it look delicious?" A large yellow rectangle was inside. "I just need to slice it, then it'll be really good!"

You yawned. "You know, you could have just made cereal." You peered into the pan. "Aren't those eggs? You should've just scrambled them instead of going through all this." 

"Sore wa daijobudesu! That's okay! I like to cook!" Emil made you sit down and handed you a pair of chopsticks. You stared at them, and was about to ask for a fork when you decided Emil would get upset if you did. 

"(Y/N)-chan, are you over that science fair fiasco yet?" Emil asked, handing you a plate. 

You just shrugged.

After eating breakfast, Emil forced, no, offered, you to come along to Allen's house. "He'll probably tease me about staying with you too much," he had begged. "He would keep his mouth shut if you were there, since you would probably beat him up if he said a word."

So you wrote a quick note to your parents, then headed out with Emil. "What we even going to do when we get there?" you asked. 

Emil smiled. "He said we could play video games, and even go to the bookstore!"

You snorted. Allen went there for the magazines, and Emil went there for the manga books. Of course they were going to go there. 

"And then we can get lunch," Emil continued. "Does that sound okay, (Y/N)-chan?"

"Yeah, whatever." You went and pressed the button to cross the street. When you looked across the road, you saw a cute little corner cafe. "That looks like a cool place."

Emil happily agreed. "We can go there soon, okay?"

But as soon as the door swung open, your feelings for the chubby cat hanging outside of the restaurant vanished. 

"Hey, look, it's Tadashi-san!" Emil said. "Does he work there?" You both watched the boy walk outside with a big sign, set it on the sidewalk, then went back to the door to flip the CLOSED sign to OPEN.

"I guess his parents do," you answered. "Anyway, come on." You grabbed Emil's arm and walked away.

* * *

It's the last day of school oH MY GOD

you know what that means

. . . more updates.

~Clover