v. πεμπτος

Lola knew little more than what was said by Mcgonagall about the houses but she was more than content with the yellow house. The table had a nice energy surrounding it, warm and welcoming. The yellow students clapped loudly, and it more than made up for the slight sneers of certain students in the other houses.

Lola got up with wobbly legs, and sat down next to a red headed first year girl and a blonde boy who looked to be in around third year. The other students were staring at her with unmasked curiosity, and Lola wasn't sure why.

So she sat, and waited for the next person of interest to her to be sorted. That happened to come in the form of Sakina Ryan. The girl's sorting was recently long too, at least three or four minutes, before the hat called out.

"RAVENCLAW!"

Lola clapped enthusiastically along with the rest of the hall, and before she knew what was happening, the sorting was done and Albus Dumbledore had got to his feet. He was beaming at the students, his arms opened wide, as if nothing could have pleased him more than to see them all there.

"Welcome!" he said. "Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Blubbertwit! Oddnit! Squeak! Thank you!"

The students clapped loudly, all enjoying his words. Lola clapped too, a little hesitantly. The man seemed strange, a little crazy.

The students turned to their food, digging in.

Lola took a little bit of everything, but did not worry too much about the sacrifices. Even at camp, she saw the burning of food as a little too much.

"So, Lola, right?" one of the girls next to her said.

She was pretty, and her hair was a beautiful shade of strawberry blonde.

"That's me," she smiled.

"I'm Susan bones," the girl smiled back. "Anyways, where do you come from? Your accent's northern, isn't it?"

"Yeah." Lola was panicking, Hecate hadn't told her there were different accents.

"Oh," she nodded. "Both your parents are wizards, right? I mean the krusos family."

Lola had really underestimated the influence of her family on the wizarding world.

"Oh yes, but if you ask me, I think we're so distantly related to gods, we may as well not be at all. What about you?"

"Oh, I'm a half-blood, mum's a muggleborn."

"That's cool." The conversation died out after that. For all her talents, conversation had never been one of Lola's. So she sat, and she ate, and when the knife scraped against her empty plate, Lola just sat and looked around. The castle was indeed beautiful.

Then "Ahem — just a few more words now we are all fed and watered. I have a few start-of-term notices to give you," Dumbledore managed to make eye contact with all of the first years, including Lola. "First-years should note that the forest in the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that as well."

Dumbledore's twinkling eyes flashed in the direction of the Weasley twins. "I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors. Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of term. Anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact Madam Hooch. Any questions?"

Lola had lots of questions, but she did not dare ask any of them, and it seemed nobody else did either.

"And now, before we go to bed, let us sing the school song!" cried Dumbledore.

Dumbledore gave his wand a little flick as if he was trying to get a fly off the end and a long golden ribbon flew out of it, which rose high above the tables and twisted itself snake-like into words. "Everyone pick their favorite tune," said Dumbledore, "and off we go!"

And the school bellowed: "Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts, Teach us something please, Whether we be old and bald Or young with scabby knees, Our heads could do with filling With some interesting stuff, For now they're bare and full of air, Dead flies and bits of fluff, So teach us things worth knowing, Bring back what we've forgot, Just do your best, we'll do the rest, And learn until our brains all rot."

Everybody finished the song at different times. At last, only the Weasley twins were left singing along to a very slow funeral march. Dumbledore conducted their last few lines with his wand, and when they had finished, he was one of those who clapped loudest.

"And I though Camp singalongs were embarrassing," Lola muttered to herself.

"Ah, music," Dumbledore said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here! And now, bedtime. Off you trot!"

Then the prefects stood and asked the first years to follow them to the common room. The hufflepuff common room was on the ground floor, and was accessed by some barrels which, apparently, squirted vinegar at you if you used the wrong rhythm to get in. That sounded like a nightmare. The hufflepuff common room, on the other hand, was anything but.

The room had high ceilings carved in stone with big comfy sofas, and hanging plants everywhere. It was circular and there were wooden door leading to dorm rooms. After a talk with the perfects, the first years were allowed to go find a room of their own, which, apparently was a privilege only hufflepuffs had. Every other house had shared dorm rooms.

Lola wandered into the first room she found, and when she stepped in her name appeared on the door, as well as her luggage on the floor and a pair of keys on the desk. The room had the same cozy effect as the common room, but smaller. There was an enchanted view out of the, likely fake, windows, and Jade was waiting on the bed. Lola would likely have stayed up later, exploring every inch of her room, if she was not suddenly seized by a strange tiredness which could surely not be natural.

She recognized her grandfather, Helios' influence even now, and as his descendant she was often privy to dreams of past or of future. With little effort she tugged off her robes and fell into her bed.

— authors note —
This is such a filler chapter omd. I had an ancient Greek test earlier and I hope I did well (because otherwise I'm failing 😜).
Don't forget to vote and comment, it's the only thing which reminds me of the existence of this book lol.
- costance