PART XVI

The cold morning air hit Y/N’s cheeks like a thousand needles. With hands inside her pockets and her mouth buried inside her dark blue scarf, she surfed through a sidewalk full of people. After some serious insistence from her mother, she had finally agreed to meet her and Layla for breakfast. The fanciest Café of the city was the place her mother had chosen, and Y/N regretted her decision already just thinking about how long it would take her to get to work from there. So she promised herself their reunion wouldn’t take long. At least that was what she hoped for.

By the time she arrived, her mother and sister had already found themselves a table. And not just that but, her mother had also placed an order for her already. Greeting both ladies with a kiss, Y/N quickly joined them on their conversation.

“Girls, I’ve made my decision.” Her mother stated after taking a sip of her coffee, the pair of sisters staring at her with confusion. “I’m going to talk to your father about getting a divorce.”

“Can’t say I haven’t heard that before.” Layla responded before taking a sip herself, immediately dismissing her idea.

“What? I can still make a life for myself.” Her mother proceeded. “Everyone tells me that I look young for my age and…”

“Mom, you know I love you and I wish nothing more for you than to be independent but, the only adult thing you have right now is a credit card. And you don’t even pay for that.” The young woman told her, but her words went in one ear and out the other.

“Are you still in contact with that friend of yours that taught at University? James was it? He must have some single academic friends he can introduce me to. He’s such a cutie.” Their mother said.

“Yes. He has a friend, yeah.” Y/N answered nodding her head as her mother redirected her whole attention to her. “He’s a shrink. You could use one.” She added and Layla snorted trying not to spit the drink in her mouth. Their mother simply stared deadly at them.

“I haven’t had fun in years!” She told them. “The closest I’ve been from having any fun was the other day when we hosted a dinner party to show off our brand new kitchen.” She commented. “And speaking of which, let me show you.” She added grabbing her phone and looking for a picture to show her daughters.

“It looks beautiful, mom.” Layla said holding the phone up between her and her sister.

“It’s nice.” Y/N nodded, but her focus was nowhere near the background of the photo, but instead on the people in it. “Who is that in the background? Right beside that blonde girl.” She questioned taking the phone from her sister’s hand and turning it to show her mother.

“His name is Oscar I think. He’s the son of one of your father’s friends. A top lawyer at the Bureau or something.” Her mother replied getting her phone back and putting it away. “He would be a great match for you, actually.” She added making Y/N cringe and Layla laugh.

“I’m fine. Thank you.” She replied.

“No, no. Let’s hear about that.” Layla said. Her fingers entwined over the table. Acting interested as she found joy on her sister’s suffering.

“Well, for starters, you both work for the FBI. So you’ll probably understand each other very well. But also-“

“Ohh, there’s an also.” Layla said and Y/N pushed her away with her elbow.

“Also,” Their mother repeated expecting no interruptions this time. “he saw our family portrait hanging on the dining room and I think he liked you.”

“Mom!” Y/N groaned with disgust. “I was barely eighteen on that portrait. That’s… gross.”

“I think that’s romantic.” Layla said earning a deadly glare from her sister. Y/N knew she was playing, but their mother seemed to agree with her.