Ch. 2 The Start

Summary: The starter pistol has fired.

Published: May 23, 2024

Adrien stumbled back after the sky suddenly flashed. He closed his eyes from the pain. As he regained his bearings, Adrien heard several car alarms. People were shouting in alarm and confusion, and Plagg was somewhat unphased. As a physical manifestation of a concept of the universe, he was more resistant to others' powers. In theory... His eyes were watering from the pain. And his insistence on keeping them open, like a "mini star," didn't explode on Earth!

Plagg: "Well, you don't see that every day or every millennium. Ha, ha... My eyes!"

The kwami closed his eyes and flew into Adrien's closet. He found the darkest place and hid. Plagg piled clothes on top of herself to make things darker. It was perfect timing as Adrien's bodyguard, Gorilla, entered the room. The protector went to Adrien and frantically checked his charge. Adrien was checked for injuries before he was picked up. Gorilla carried the boy as he searched for Nathalie. She had access to the mansion's defense system.

Nathalie stumbled to Gabriel's office. The flash temporarily blinded her. She closed the door and felt around for their locks. After locking the entrance to the office, she went to Emily's painting. As Nathalie's vision is adjusted, she pushes the hidden buttons of the art piece. After entering the code, the elevator brought her down into the liar. Gabriel was screaming at Nooro when Nathaniel arrived.

Gabriel: "I ordered your obedience, yet you find some way to defy me!"

Nooro: "M-master, I-I didn't mean to! It wasn't intentional, it wasn't in my control!"

The power Nooro released wasn't because of a command. It wasn't a request, either. A paradox of power being taken and given.

Gabriel: "You obeyed the orders of another! Nooro, I command you to only listen to me and me alone!"

Nathalie: "Gabriel!"

The assistant finally reached them.

Nathalie: "There was something powerful."

Duusu came out of hiding. She twirled in excitement.

Duusu: "I'd say! It's not often you experience the power of the Golden Cicada and their reincarnations. The sky was so beautiful and bright! Nooro, do you think it was Tripitaka's? I know it's the same soul. But we consider each rebirth as different beings. You know! So?"

The peacock went to her fellow kwami. She waited for Nooro's response. He stayed silent.

Gabriel: "Was this bug or Tripitaka the one who caused that light to come from you, Nooro?"

Duusu: "You were called on too! What does this mean? *gasp!* Have we been recognized as one of the greats?!"

Gabriel: "You've betrayed me too, Duusu?"

He was cold and boiling with anger.

Gabriel: "Nathalie, I expected Duusu to be more disciplined and submissive under your control. Perhaps we've been too lenient, and they need more severe punishments."

Nooro and Duusu shrank. They went to hug each other, sharing their fears.

Nathalie: "Gabriel, it wasn't in their control. I believe this "Tripitaka" was powerful enough to override the limitations put on the miraculous. Perhaps it's not just the kwamis, as various light sources were gathered into the rings in the sky. Sir, this is..."