Don't Leave Me

Olinsky POV

It's been six hours and we still haven't heard anything about Ruzek. I honestly don't know what will happen, but I have to make sure to stay strong for Kim, I at least owe Adam that. She's been hysterical since we got here and I'm trying to calm her down by reassuring her, but it's not working. I don't blame her though, it's a really tough position to be in. I'm not leaving her side though, not until Adam's okay.

Burgess POV

No one will give us a god damn update about Adam. I'm terrified, what if he doesn't make it? I can't live with out him. I just can't.
"Adam Ruzek family?" The doctor asks. I stand up and walk towards him.
"How is he?" I ask.
"Let's go somewhere a little more private," he said. I followed him into an empty hallway.
"Mr. Ruzek has a serious concussion and we won't know the extent of his injury until he wakes up. His lung also collapsed, so he is on a ventilator and he will be until we make sure he can breathe on his own. His spleen was ruptured too, so we took him into emergency surgery to repair it, luckily that is the least of our concerns. On the other side of this, we are very optimistic that he will wake up, it might be a couple of days though. We don't know for sure if he will have any permanent injuries, but hopefully we will be able to tell fairly soon," the doctor stated. I felt like I was about to vomit.
"Can I see him?" I said my voice cracking, "please?"
"Of course. We are getting him set up in a room right now, we will come and get you when he's ready, which will be in about an hour," the doctor said.
"Thank you," I whispered, barely holding myself together.

Halstead POV

I walk over to Kim, who just finished talking to the doctor.
"Kim, how is he?" I ask.
"Jay...." Kim starts to say before she falls into my arms sobbing.
"Shhh it's okay Kim. How is he though Kim?" I ask, preparing for the worst.
"He's....he just got out of surgery. They say they are optimistic that he'll wake up but his injuries....they might be permanent," she says before she starts sobbing again.
"I'm going to call Voight, do you want me to get Alvin?" I asked.
"Yes, please. Could you also call his father?? I have his number in my purse for emergency purposes, I've never met him face to face though," Kim says reaching into her pocket, eventually pulling out a small piece of paper.
"Of course Kim, he'll pull through," I said.
"I hope so," she stated.

Voight POV

"Damn it!" I shout, causing Erin to come in.
"Hank what's wrong" she asked.
"Jay hasn't fucking called me about Ruzek yet," my phone started vibrating, "Finally!" I pick up the phone and answer it, "Jay what's going on? How's Ruzek?"
"They said he should wake up, he just got out of surgery. They are placing him in the ICU until he can breathe on his own, he's hooked up to a ventilator right now because of his lung. His spleen is completely fixed up, they said he could be sore bit other wise it's fine with that. His concussion is what is concerning the doctors. He has a major concussion and they don't know how his injuries will affect him, and they could be permanent affects," Jay says. "Kim hasn't got to see him yet, she's terrified."
"You would be too if it was Erin," I said.
"What?" Jay said, he knows I officially blew their cover.
"You heard me," I stated.
"Alright well I'll call you if anything changes," he said, still a little shocked at my remark.
"Good, bye" I said as I hung up.

Bob Ruzek POV

I look at my phone and I see that I have a missed call from an unknown number, so I call back cautiously, "hello?" I ask, "who is this?"
"Is this Adam Ruzek's father?" The man asked.
"Yeah, why?" I said, nervous now.
"I work with Ruzek, he's been in an accident and he's at Chicago Med right now. He has some pretty serious injuries and he is in the ICU. I got your number from Kim Burgess, his girlfriend," he stated.
"I'm on my way," I said quickly as I raced out of my apartment.

When I get to Chicago Med, I race over to the ICU. "My name is Bob Ruzek, I'm looking for my son, Adam Ruzek," I say to the nurse.
"Room 606, there is a woman in there right now too," the nurse states.
"Okay, thank you," I say as I walk quickly down the hallway. When I approach the room I see a woman holding Adam's hand and messing with his hair.
"He has wild hair, doesn't he?" I said almost in tears.
"Oh yeah, are you Adam's father," the woman turned around and asked, her eyes red and puffy from crying.
"Yes, are you Kim?" I ask softly.
"Yes, nice to meet you sir," she said.
"You too, I wish it was under better circumstances though," I stated. "How is he?" I ask Kim, it's really obvious she loves him.
"I really don't know, they say he's progressing but....it's so hard to sit here and look at him like this," she says and then she breaks down.
"It's okay sweetie, I know," I say as I go over to her and rub her back, the tears finally falling from my eyes.
"I love him so much," she chokes out, still sobbing.
"I do too sweetheart, I do too," I said. Kim and I sat there together and we let ourselves cry.