It's Over....For Now

Ruzek POV

We got home about an hour ago, the hospital finally discharging Kim. I'm laying next to her and I hear her softly breathing, the peacefulness comforting me. I lean over and kiss her forehead and she snuggles into my chest. She's sound asleep so I decide to sleep with her. I wrap my arms around her and then I drift off.

Burgess POV

I wake up and feel Adam's embrace. I look over and I see him and he finally looks healthy again. Before he was so sleep deprived and he hadn't eaten much, I was worried. I softly remove his arms from my hips and chest and I go down and get something to eat. As I'm grabbing a yogurt I notice the calendar. I quickly realize something and I get excited because in two more shifts I'm able to return to the station. Hopefully I don't get put on desk duty again, ugh that was horrible. Although, I'm sure Roman was thrilled with working with Sergeant Platt either. As I was eating my yogurt, I heard Adam come down the hall.
"Hey babe, how ya feeling?" Adam said, still sleepy.
"I'm doing better, only two more shifts until I return," I said cheerfully.
"You sure you're ready to go back, I mean...." Adam tried to say before I cut him off.
"Yes I'm sure. It's my job and I'm looking forward to going back," I stated. He's so protective sometimes, I mean it's sweet and all but enough is enough!

Ruzek POV

As I get to work I rush upstairs. In the car I receivers a call saying there was a huge case.
"What's going on boss?" I say when I get upstairs.
"Paul Donnelly, a cop killer. He will kill any cop and every cop until he's stopped. I received a phone call saying he's after someone at 21. He never said who, but he said that a certain guy better watch out, so we know it's a male he's after. He also said that it'll be a shame because the man would've still had his entire life ahead of him so I'm guessing it's someone younger. Donnelly, however, does have a pattern to his murders. He goes for the neck, sometimes he shoots, sometimes he stabs, and twice he's strangled. He's a sick man who needs to be stopped. We will bring him down however it takes, understood? Good," Voight stated.
"Boss, how many officers have been killed by him?" I asked, nervous to find out but I needed to know.
"26, all of them were in a romantic relationship at the time. He goes for people in relationships," Voight said.
"Ruzek, Halstead, Dawson, keep your eyes out," Alvin said. Holy shit, he could be after me.

As I drove home, I kept thinking about how I was going to tell Kim. "Should I wait even tell her? Yes she deserves to know, plus I don't know if I'll be able to hold it in at home. Work, maybe I could but Kim will know that something is wrong. Should I wait until tomorrow? No I can't. Should I tell her quickly or take it in steps? Ugh!" I guess I'll find out when it happens when the time comes. I can't help but wonder how Jay and Antonio are going to tell their families, if they even tell them at all. Erin and Laura should be able to tell something's wrong, just like Kim will be able to.

Burgess POV

Adam came home and he looked terrified. He ran over to me and kissed me.
"I love you so, so, so, so much Kim," Adam said as he wrapped his arms around me.
"Baby, what's wrong. What's going on?" I asked nervously.
"It'll be okay Kim. We'll be okay," he said, but I heard him crying softly.
"Baby, it might be, but it's not now. What's wrong Adam," I asked. I hated seeing him cry. He has only cried once in front of me so I knew this was bad.
"Don't worry about it darling," he said softly.
"No, you can't do that Adam. You came to me and now you need to tell me babe, please?" I asked.
"Fine. There's this cop killer out on the loose and he's after one of three people: Jay, Antonio, or....or me. We don't know who for sure but he made it clear that it was a younger male with a girlfriend or wife," Adam said. After he said it he broke down, "I love you Kim."
"Adam, Adam, it'll be okay baby. I'm here Adam, I'm here," I said as I snuggled into his chest. I felt tears drip down my face as I thought to myself, "I can't lose him. I can't lose the love of my life. I just can't."