Chapter Eight

"I would be very interested to look at your books, Mr. Bywood," Mr. Jennings said, accepting a bowl of vegetables from Mr. Talbot. "I'm sure there must be some interesting titles among them."

"You're more than welcome to look through them," I told him immediately. "I didn't see a single title that was interesting or of any value, but I've been focused on other matters."

The vicar beamed with delight. "I've always believed that books hold hidden treasures. You never know what you'll discover within their pages. Perhaps that is the treasure your trespassers are looking for?"

Philippa wrinkled her nose once again, but did not comment. "What books do you enjoy reading, Mr. Jennings?" Talbot asked, his tone showing the first bit of interest I'd ever heard.

"Oh, anything, really. History, poetry, even the occasional novel," the vicar said with a laugh. "Both of my parents were great readers, and they encouraged it in my siblings and I from a young age. Hand any of us a book and we will be happy."

For the first time, Talbot smiled. "My parents were much the same," he said. "Our home was always quiet because we were all reading. But I'm afraid it made us a shy group, and it took a great deal of effort for us to learn how to hold a conversation with someone we just met."

Was that the reason he was so taciturn and serious? Well, that was good to know. Maybe there was a chance for us to become friends in the future. He just needed some time to get to know me better.

Or, given the way things had been going for me lately, he'd hate me even worse than I suspected he did.

"I believe most people experience some uneasiness when speaking with unfamiliar individuals," Mr. Jennings said, his tone commiserating. "I find myself anxious every time I must step foot in London."

"I find that hard to believe!" Philippa exclaimed incredulously. "It is such fun to meet new people! They are always so interesting!"

"Not everyone has your nature, Philippa," I told her. Of all my siblings, she was the most outgoing and vivacious. Even as a child, she had never been able to keep her thoughts to herself. "For some of us, socializing can be quite challenging."

Philippa pouted. "I've always thought that was because they were just being obstinate. It isn't difficult to talk to people."

She didn't believe that. She couldn't! How could she have reached the age of eighteen without realizing that everyone was different? Or...was Philippa intentionally trying to be as cruel as she could?

It took all my self-control not to reprove her then and there. As much as I was disgusted by her actions, it was not my place to do so. Even if I invoked the privilege of being siblings, it would have been embarrassing for her if I did it in front of our guests.

I knew what it was like to be scolded in company, and it was far from a pleasant experience.

"Oh, I can guarantee some of us were being obstinate," I commented lightly. reaching for my wine glass. "To go from being students and having everyone tell you what to do, to having the freedom to make our own choices? It definitely can go to one's head."

Mr. Jennings nodded vigorously in agreement. "It can be challenging to make that adjustment. I've always believed that if more parents were to do as my parents did, giving more and more responsibility to their children as they grew, there would be fewer mistakes made by young individuals in society and we all would be better for it."

Philippa's expression showed her displeasure with the topic at hand. "But isn't making mistakes a part of learning and growing up?" she asked. "Mistakes are not something that can be avoided."