Chapter Four

My sister's betrothed had come? "Wonderful news!" I exclaimed, genuinely delighted by this surprising turn of events. "Please bring him in right away, Molly. And inform Mrs. Wallace. Mr. Talbot may need breakfast since he has arrived so early. He can't have had anything to eat this morning."

Though he and I had not found any common ground when we first met, he was just the man I wanted to see. If Philippa would not explain what had happened, surely he would. Maybe he could even convince her to return home and I would be free of her managing ways.

Beside me, however, Philippa's face had lost all color. "No, don't," she said, her tone horrified. "Tell him he is not welcome and send him on his way! Don't let him in the house."

Molly's eyes darted back and forth between us, her expression filled with uncertainty. "Sir?" she inquired, her voice tremulous.

Poor girl! I knew she was shy. It was difficult enough for her to go about her usual duties. Having unexpected visitors clearly made her even more anxious. "Take him to the library and we will join him there," I told her. "And then have Mrs. Wallace prepare a tea tray."

The maid nodded and left to carry out my instructions. "I will not speak to him," Philippa declared as soon as the door swung closed. "In fact, I will not even see him! You cannot make me!"

Her declaration didn't surprise me. "If you want to be rude, that is your choice," I told her. After her outburst, I hadn't expected her to accompany me to the library. The reason why she felt so strongly about it was still a mystery. "He came all this way to see you. And you thought you could be hostess for me? Really, Philippa. You hardly inspire confidence."

"If you were a caring brother, you would send him on his way or land him a facer," she added fiercely, ignoring my comments. "Make him regret that he dared to show his face here!"

"Philippa! I never would have imagined you could be so bloodthirsty. Why would I challenge him like that?" I might have been less than impressed with the man when I met him, but that didn't merit punching the man. "He hasn't done anything to offend me."

"But he has offended me!" she declared. "That is the main issue here. As my brother, it is your duty to protect my reputation! Show him that he should not offend a Bywood without there being consequences."

"As your brother, the only duty I have is to tell you that you are a bloodthirsty chit that can't be taken seriously," I said, standing up. "This is the first I am hearing of an offense. What happened between you?"

Once again, Philippa remained tight-lipped and refused to disclose any information. "Send him away!" was all she said. "Preferably with a black eye. He's not welcome here."

"Well, ‌I have no intention of giving him a black eye or threatening to fight him. Might I remind you that this is my house and I can determine who is and is not welcome?"

Philippa glowered at me and muttered something that it was probably better that I didn't hear.

Since she refused to give any explanation, I would speak to the only other person who knew what was going on. And if I had to be the means of reconciling my sister and her betrothed... Well, I wouldn't be pleased about it.

I stepped out of the dining room and saw Molly leaving the library. "He's waiting for you, sir," she informed me. She hesitated and then added in a low voice, "He looked disappointed that Miss Bywood didn't come to greet him."

"Thank you, Molly," I responded as I approached the door.

It was only natural for him to feel disappointed. Any man in his position would be concerned and upset upon learning that the woman he wanted to marry didn't want to see him. Even the most stoic of men would show some emotion by such news.