Chapter Five

Before I could think of a plan to reunite two lovers, I needed to determine where Talbot would stay for a few nights. Obviously, he couldn't stay in Pearsend. There was an inn of sorts in the small village ten miles to the south, but it had a questionable reputation. I couldn't in good conscience send him there.

There was only one option that would be a reasonable solution. John Ward owed

me a favor. Well, at this point I wasn't sure on that point, but I was sure he wouldn't mind if Talbot stayed on his property. In any event, this would mean I would owe Ward a favor, and he was the sort to value a favor. Hopefully, a reconciliation could happen quickly, and Talbot would not be in the neighborhood too long.

Given that Philippa was showing the stubborn streak that prevailed in the Bywood family, I knew it would be a challenge to get her to reconcile with Talbot. It was difficult to tell just how long it would take to salvage her relationship. Perhaps it would be best to keep the matter as vague as possible.

As I scribbled my note, Talbot fidgeted next to me. Ward was still in Brighton, but fortunately, I was acquainted with his housekeeper who would never turn away a guest. Besides, Ward's daughter would be delighted to have someone new to meet.

Still looking uncertain, Talbot went off with my note in hand. He'd reluctantly agreed to return for dinner. That ought to be enough time for me to work out what we could do to put this matter behind us.

But I could only make a plan if I learned my sister's side of the story. Clearly, Talbot didn't know exactly what words he'd used that had offended her. Perhaps he had been exceedingly harsh and I wouldn't want to help him win my sister's forgiveness.

That didn't seem likely, but given that I hadn't expected a break between them in the first place, I was willing to keep my mind open to any new detail.

"Philippa!" I called as I went to the library.

Strange. There was a stack of books on the corner of my desk that I hadn't placed there. I honestly hadn't believed Philippa would search for a book to read when I had invited her to do so. She was never one for much reading as far as I could remember.

Before I could pick up one and see what had interested her enough to take the book down, the sound of laughter drew my focus away. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw movement. When I turned, my eyes landed on an open window behind the desk. It didn't seem overly warm, but Philippa must have thought otherwise if she opened the window.

In the gardens outside, I spotted my sister chasing the two younger daughters of Mrs. Wallace. The three of them were full of laughter as they raced along the pathways that had been meticulously groomed by Mr. Fenton. There was no sign of the older man, who would surely disapprove of his domain being invaded.

Before I took my leave of the room, I reached up to close the window. It was surprisingly quiet for such a heavy object. "Philippa is stronger than I thought," I muttered as I pulled it down into place.

As I made my way to the side door, no one crossed my path to give me any more bad news. When I stepped outside, I found that, while it was cloudy, the day was a fine one. A gentle breeze blew through and the sky showed no signs of rain.

"Mr. Lucas! Mr. Lucas!" I was startled when I heard a small voice calling my name. Five-year-old Susan came running up to me, her tiny hands clutching onto a bouquet of white flowers. "Aren't they pretty? Miss Philippa said we could put them in a glass of water inside and Mama would be happy to see them all the time."

"Miss Philippa is absolutely right. Your mama will be very pleased with them," I told her, holding back the reminder that Mr. Fenton might not be as pleased with the removal of his hard work. The damage had been done already and I would appease the gardener. Somehow. "Why don't you take them to her now?"