Chapter Sixteen: Old Friends

Start from the beginning

"I fucked everything up?" Ian smirked running his fingers across his chin. "That's funny. It takes two to tango, Ryder. You were just as responsible as I was. You were the one sending mixed signals. But of course, I'm always the bad guy. Take responsibility for your actions. And you know what if you feel that way, maybe you should just get back with your little boyfriend then."

I bit my lip, not saying a word. I shook my head, shoving my chair in. I swore underneath my breath as I walked out of his backyard. Ian called out to me, but I didn't stop. I kept walking down the street back towards my house. My face was a bright red color. I couldn't believe Ian had said that. I could hear his footsteps echoing behind me.

I turned around, my eyes locked on his. "Leave me alone, Ian."

"So you're just going to run away," he huffed catching up to me. "That's what you're going to do."

"It's what you did last summer," I spat. "I learned from the fucking best."

Ian ran his fingers through his brown hair. "Please come back. I didn't mean it, Ryder. I've been drinking, and you know how I get. Look I didn't mean to criticize you. Ryder.""

"I - I need some time to myself." I folded my arms across my chest, and continued walking.

l couldn't get over what Ian had said. Drunk or not - He was being honest. He was right though. It wasn't completely his fault. I was sending mixed signals when I was with Jeremy. I wasn't exactly as faithful as I should have been. I was guilty of that. Jeremy didn't deserve that.

That night, I Skyped Jer again. I just wanted to talk to him again.

"Hey," I said as the camera opened up on Jeremy. He was lying across his bed in his boxers. I think he might have woken up or something. I chewed on my lower lip as he sat up, adjusting his camera. He yawned, brushing his hands through his messy blonde hair for a second.

"Ryder - It's one thirty in the morning," he sighed. "What's up?"

"Sorry I didn't know you were asleep," I replied. "I figured you'd be awake. I'll let you sleep - "

"No," he replied rubbing his eyes. "It's fine. I'm awake now. Fully awake."

I nodded. "Ok. Well how are you?"

Jeremy sighed. " Hungry, bored, horny - the usual. What about you?"

I let out a laugh. "Same."

Jeremy groaned, his blue eyes lingering on me for a second. "So is something on your mind? I mean you called for a reason."

He was always so perceptive. "Ian and I got into an argument. I shouldn't be talking about this with you, I know. It's just I don't have anyone to talk to about this, Jer, except you. I understand if you don't want to hear it considering everything. Forget it. I shouldn't have brought it up. I'm an idiot."

Jeremy sighed. "You're not an idiot, Ryder. Like I said before, you and Ian aren't good for each other. Whatever you have going on isn't healthy. You should just break up with him, Ry. I'm telling you. We don't have to get back together, but you and him - It's not going to work."

"That's what everyone says," I sighed running my fingers through my hair. "Thanks for listening, Jer. I should go. Good night."

"Ok," Jeremy said quickly muttering a good night, before he disconnected. I closed my laptop shut, getting dressed. I snuck downstairs, closing the front door shut, softly behind me. I moved down the street quietly, glancing behind me, only to bump right into Nikki.

"Ryder? What are you doing out so late?" Nikki asked pulling her hoodie down.

"I'm taking a walk to clear my head," I rasped.

"Cool," Nikki said. "Let's take a walk together. I know a place."

I raised an eyebrow as Nikki grabbed my hand, and pulled me down the street. We ended up in the woods, following a dirt path. I could hear the faint sound of music as Nikki led met through the trees. The music grew louder and louder, the more we walked. It felt like we had walked for a mile before we ended up at a clearing, where a bunch of people were having a bonfire. A party? Of course that's where she was headed. I shoved my hand into my pocket as Nikki pulled us into the crowd. Music blaring out of speakers connected to the back of someone's truck.

"Nikki?" I said but she couldn't hear me. The music was much too loud. Somewhere in the crowd of people, I lost her. I scanned the crowd of heads, but there was way too many people, and way too many blondes to pick her out. I gave up, moving out of the herd of people dancing. I walked towards the keg, and fixed myself a beer.

Well if I was here, I might as well enjoy myself. I chugged the beer down, grabbing another, before I walked around, scanning the crowd. I recognized most of the people. A lot of them I had graduated high school with. I think their might have been some high schoolers mixed in the crowd as well.

"Want something to take the edge of?" a voice said from behind me. I turned around only to be handed a small plastic bag by a short dark haired guy. I bit my lip, glancing down to see a small circular pill.

"What is this?" I called out.

"X, my friend," he grinned. "You look like you need a little chemical happiness."

I shook my head, shoving it into my pocket.

"There you are," Nikki said grabbing my hands. "I thought I lost you. Are you having fun?"

"Not really," I groaned.

"Well come on and dance with me," Nikki said pulling me back into the crowd that I had left. She threw my beer on the ground, and placed my hands on her hips. I rolled my eyes as she pressed her back into my chest, grinding her body into mine.

"Stop being so stiff," She laughed turning around and facing me. Her icy blue eyes fell to mine as she wrapped her arms around my neck. We danced like that for one or two songs. We would have danced longer had the party not been shut down by the police. Nikki and I sprinted into the crowd. I told her to meet me at the lake if we got split up. Sure enough, we did.

When I got to the lake, I was out of breath. Nikki wasn't in sight. I plopped down onto the grass, catching my breath for a second. Five minutes later, Nikki showed up, laughing.

"Shit Ryder," she said plopping down onto the grass beside me. "That was fun, right?"

I rested my hands underneath my head. "Yeah. Reminds me of high school."

"Ah high school," Nikki replied sitting up, and staring out into the lake. "I hated high school."

I raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

She nodded, taking a deep breath. "I had a lot of problems in high school, but I don't want to talk about it. It's in the past now. Things are much better now.."

"That's good," I said not pushing the subject any further.  "So what now, Nikki?"

Her eyes flickered to mine. "We wait for the sun to rise, Ry. Everything's better the next day."

"Alright then," I said glancing out at the lake with her.

And that's exactly what we did. We waited for the sun to rise.