Chapter Sixteen: Old Friends

Start from the beginning

I rested my laptop on my lap, shrugging. "Ok I guess. How are you? How's everything with your mom?"

He sucked his teeth. "Let's not bring up my mother. How about you grab a controller and play me?"

I nodded. I had been so wrapped up in everything with my mother and Ian, I had completely forgotten how much I had missed Jeremy. His voice, his smile, his laugh - He was perfect. Definitely too good for me. I told him that when we started dating.

Jeremy and I played for an hour. The way we talked, it was like we hadn't even broken up. It felt normal. I was brought back to reality when Ian texted me, asking me when I was coming over. It was already nine o clock. There wasn't any point in me coming over today considering I would only have an hour if I went.

"Ian," Jeremy said noticing me checking my phone repeatedly. "If you want to go - "

I shook my head. "No. It's cool. I'd rather talk to you, blondie."

Jeremy went silent.

"What?" I asked noticing the look he was giving me. "Whatever you want to say, say it, Jer."

"Did you really like me, Ryder? Be honest," he asked fumbling with his hands. "Or was I just some rebound?"

"Jeremy, of course I liked you, I still do," I replied quickly. "You weren't a rebound at all."

Jeremy and I talked all night. I didn't go to sleep until four in the morning. I think it might have been the most honest conversation, he and I ever had. I was glad everything was out in the open between us. I wanted him to still be a part of my life. I mean we had been best friends before we even started dating.

The following afternoon, I stopped by Ian's house. He was sitting out in his back yard, tanning in a pair of speedos. I whistled at him as I plopped down into a chair beside him.

"I didn't know you tan," I commented as he stood up from his pool chair.

"There's a lot of things you don't know about me," he winked, giving me a devious grin. "I missed you yesterday, where were you? What did you fall asleep?"

"I lost track of time," I replied as Ian walked inside for a brief second, returning with a beer in his hand.

"I find that hard to believe," Ian said sliding in the chair beside me. "Did your mother keep you hostage? You can tell me."

"No," I sighed. "Jeremy called me last night. He wants us to still be friends. Can I have one of those?" I pointed at his beer.

Ian raised an eyebrow. "No. And Jeremy? Your ex, Jeremy? You ditched me for him."

I quickly spoke up. "No. I didn't ditch you. I -"

I stopped as soon as Ian started laughing. He was fucking with me as per usual. I hated when he did that. Asshole. I rolled my eyes as he kissed me on the forehead softly.

"I'm kidding, Ryder," he grinned resting his hands on my thighs. "I don't care who you talk to. Honestly, I think it's great you're talking again."

"Really? You don't care that I'm talking to my ex boyfriend at all," I said in disbelief.

Ian scoffed, sipping his beer. "Why should I be? I mean he's cute and all, but from what I can tell he didn't mean that much to you. If he did, you wouldn't have cheated."

"Wow," I said taken aback by his statement. So that's what he thought of Jeremy and I's relationship. It was just a fling. A stupid college fling that meant nothing.

Ian sighed. "Come on, Ryder. I'm only being honest."

"So what? You think I just dated Jeremy to get over you or something? Because it wasn't like that at all, Ian," I huffed, standing up from my chair. "Jeremy wasn't a rebound. I really liked him, and you came along and fucked everything up."