Chapter One

Albany, New York
September 1, 1920
Present Day

As the sun made it's way through my curtains and into my room. I had woke up feeling sluggish. Not wanting to get out of bed and get dolled up for work.

I lived with my Aunt Rebecca from my dad's side of the family. She had got me a job on Wall Street in the trading room as an assistant. She had landed me the job through some guy she was seeing. I had just finished school at the State University of New York and graduated with a bachelor's degree in business.

"Victoria, you can't stay in bed today. It was hard getting you this job."

My aunt tells me as she marchs in the room to peel the covers off me. I love my room, it looks like one from out of a palace. With a queen size bed and an ivory vanity set. That went along with my ivory silk curtains that hung in my window. Not to mention I had a walk in closet and a master bathroom.

My aunt would buy me whatever clothes I wanted. Until she said I should get a job and learn how to make my own money. Which made me excited to start my new job. My aunt didn't let me go out much.

Getting out of bed I let out some grunts and sighs as I made my way to the bathroom. Looking in the mirror I tried to figure out what to do with my hair. It was pitch black and long. It complemented my light caramel skin tone and my hazel eyes.

"You just don't know what I had to do to get you this job." I run some fresh bath water.

"Yes, auntie I understand. It's hard for women to get jobs in business." I want her to know that I appreciate what she has done.

She took me in after the death of my parents. I didn't know much about them. All my aunt told me was that my dad was caucasian and had married my mom who was african american. Knowing how I looked I know that's not all they were.  My aunt had lost touch with my dad so she didn't know much. I poke my head out of the bathroom to find her sitting at my vanity set. I turn the bath water off and walk out to her. She's looking at herself in the mirrior as I wrap my arms around her and give her a hug. She is the closest thing I have to a mother.

"What's wrong darling? Is this cause I'm going out tonight for my brithday?" She leans against my room door. She was turning 47, but looked like she was turning 35. She told me she was going to be out all night celebrating.

"No, not at all. I want you to go and have fun." I know her, she was going to go drinking all night.

It wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't illegal. Eight months ago Congress had passed the 18th amendment making the consumption and selling of alcohol illegal.

"Ok then, I'm gone now darling. Don't be late and don't wait up for me either." She left and closed my room door behind her.

After washing up I put on a blouse and a navy blue pencil skirt, with a matching wastecoat. Pinned up my hair and grab my beige trench coat. I phone for a taxi and grab my purse to wait outside. Locking the door behind me as the taxi pulled up to the curve.

"Where to miss?" The driver had asked me.

"Wall Street" I reply to him.