Chapter 24

Elenora's Point of View (TW: Talk of Abuse and R*pe)

"Damn you're good at this" Federico says to me after I finished first in Mario Kart for the third time.

"I am just getting lucky" I say.

"Lucky my ass" Francesco says under his breath.

"Another round?" Federico asks the two of us. I nod my head but then I see Nico walking into the room.

"Nico you wanna play? There is an extra remote" I say, causing him to look between the three of us before nodding. As he sits down I lean over and hand him the remote. As I start to the play my mind drifts to my brothers who are not here. Yesterday and today I have not seen Dante, not after our awkward dinner the other night that was right after he realized I was lying.

Dante, Toni, and Matteo all have good intentions about wanting me to open up. I know they just want to fix the problems they can clearly see I am facing  but all it makes me feel is that I am going to crack under pressure. This is especially the case with Dante, he occasionally makes me terrified, although I guess you would expect that with a mafia boss. Toni and Matteo on the other hand I feel guilty when I disappoint them by not opening up. Talking about my issues with the Walshes was hard enough in the last month I was there, I would not even know how to bring it up to this set of brothers.

The twins and Nico are a nice change of pace from the older siblings. I can tell they are also curious about what happened to me before I got here but Francesco and Federico have danced around the subject more looking after me by trying to have me make the most of my time. Just like fifteen minutes ago when they came and brought me down to the game room to play. Their company is nice. 

Nico is not trying to investigate either, but I do not think it comes with the same intentions of the twins of just wanting to get to know my personality. Nico is not asking because it is almost as if already knows, it is as if we relate to each other on some deep level. If we were to paint our pain, I think it would be the same color. 

As the race comes to an end, the four of us hear someone clear their throat at the entrance of the game room. I turn around and see Dante standing there, and by the looks of it he has been standing there a little longer than I realized. There is something off about his character with him silently waiting for his round to end. My mind jumps to the conclusion that he has found more information about me, but I quickly move on from that thought since the last time he did he was not hesitant about his step. He usually walks into a room, demanding peoples attention but this is different. 

"Hey Dante" I say, gaining the courage to address him.

"Hello El, I wanted to take you out to lunch, just the two of us if you would like to join now that the game is at a pausing point" He says like he is not even confident in his invitation. I look at the twins who look just as confused by Dante's shift in persona. If he is off about something I do not want to just leave him standing there.

"Yeah lets go" I say to Dante with a shy smile that he returns. I turn to my other three brothers sitting on the couch and say, "I guess we can play when I get back?" The twins and Nico nods, but as I get up Nico waits a second before following and heading towards the stairs where I can only assume he is going back up to his room.

"So where are we going for lunch?" I ask him after we put on our coats and started walking to the garage.

"This sandwich shop mom used to take our brother and me to when we were kids. I try to still go and support their family business, although I usually go alone" he says. I am surprised he is taking me such a sentimental place for him, but I am also happy to share any sliver of my mother. Aunt Andrea and my brothers clearly love my mother and I want to see all the parts they loved about her.