Too Close

Two weeks later and I'm still avoiding McKenna

Two weeks later and I'm still avoiding McKenna. Thankfully she's kept her distance and has barely spared me a glance. I was able to redo some of my school work and pick my grades back up again, but in order to do that I had to take a week off of volleyball. Today was the first day back from my break and it was also game day.

Practice wasn't half bad, after the first hour I was back to myself and I felt confident we were going to win today's game. My family and Morgan were going to be there to cheer me on, I was excited to see them. I hadn't seen much of them because I was so focused on my schoolwork.

"Alright team, lets load up!" Coach Jules shouted across the gym. We grabbed our backpacks and duffle's while also grabbing our ball bag and equipment to travel. I always loved away games, the bus ride and inside jokes were the best part of it all.

I climbed up the steps into the bus and squeezed my way into the third row from the back. I set my backpack down in the row behind me before turning and seeing Ava shove her way to me.

"Excuse me! Caroline sit down already, you're in my way!" I chuckled as I watched Ava roll her eyes after passing the last few rows. She threw her bag down next to mine and threw herself into the seat  next to me.

"Hi." I smiled at my best friend.

"Hi. It's been a while. It's a good thing the game is three hours away because we have a lot to catch up on." She pulled out snacks and passed them to me as she got comfortable in her seat.

"Oh boy, where do I start?" I wondered allowed before popping a few goldfish in my mouth.

"Uhh how about the run in with McKenna. I can't believe I wasn't there. I would've made her shove her big foot in her even bigger mouth." She scoffed and took a bite of her granola bar.

"Thankfully she hasn't bothered me since then." I let out a sigh and leaned back against my seat, the bus taking off on our three hour journey.

"Yeah but a certain boy has been glued to your hip since then." She whispered and wiggled her eyebrows. I giggled and rolled my eyes.

"It's not a big deal Ava. He already sorta followed me everywhere anyway."

"Girl don't play tough with me, I know your screaming and kicking your legs inside." She gave me a look.

"Okay fine, I might be slightly happy he's being protective of me."

"Slightly?" Ava deadpanned.

I threw my hands up in the air, "Okay fine, really excited!"

I am actually over the moon with all the attention he's been giving me. But I'm not letting Ava know that.

"Just promise I'll be the maid of honor at your wedding."

"Ava!!!" I squealed as I slapped her arm. She barked out a laugh and I joined her. We continued to eat our snacks. I looked up and saw Coach J making her way back to our row.