Chapter 23

Bea POV

Everything was smooth sailing sa pregnancy naman ni Cait and I am very thankful of that isa lang naman gusto ko maging healthy all throughout her pregnancy si Cait. Anomaly scan was ok. Though nakakapraning to always make sure that there is fetal movement and heartbeat. We even bought this portable ultrasound doppler para makasiguro. We really wanna make this work and all.

However on her 29th week Dr. Mylene had a bad news for us.

"Cait and Bea. Your baby girl is ok pero si baby boy doesn't seem to be growing that much inside the womb. I am afraid we would have to perform an earlier C section than expected. We will get a schedule for it. We will give Cait steroids and magnesium sulfate to at least prepare the babies somehow paglabas nila. They will be staying in the NICU for a while after birth. Gusto ko lang din ihanda niyo ang mga sarili niyo."

Ramdam ko ang paghigpit ng kapit ng kamay ni Cait sa akin. It seems like never ending ang pagsubok sa pagpapamilya namin.

When we went home Cait was noticeably sad again. I was trying my best to console and comfort my wife.

"It will be alright love. The twins have us. Mapapatagal lang bago natin makasama sa bahay but I know they will take good care of them."

"Bakit ganun Bei mabuti naman tayong tao at for sure magiging mabuting magulang pero bakit andaming hurdles?"

"I know love pero pagsubok lang to malalagpasan natin to. How about we read and watch more about prematures and NICU?" She nodded back naman.

Umunan siya sa dibdib ko at yumakap habang nagscroll ako sa youtube ng mga clips. I hugged her tighter and gave her a kiss in her forehead and nagstart na kaming manood.

I got everything packed for Cait and I. She would be staying for 2 to 3 days in the hospital after delivery. They gave all the necessary medications prior to delivery. They allowed me inside naman so I got to hold my wife's hand all throughout. I wanna be there for her every step of the way.

Our baby girl was taken out first and immediately went to the warmer and a minute after our baby boy got out. He looked much smaller than his ate. I went near as they were attending to the twins. Kinausap na ko ng consultant to update about the twins. That they would be needing to stay for a while in the NICU.

As soon as the C section was finished and Cait was transferred to the recovery room nagpaalam na ko kay Cait na sisilip muna ko sa NICU.

I saw our twins inside their respective incubators. They have all these machines, monitors and tubes. I am not really sure if kaya ni Cait makita sila ng ganito. Siguro picture muna tas iuupdate ko muna siya bago ko dalhin dito.

Kinausap na ko ni Dr. Dalia yung neonatology consultant para iupdate tungkol sa mga bata. They have given surfactant naman na daw to help the babies' lungs. Currently, they are both on cpap lang but it is gonna be a day to day basis for their progress. And they may need to stay for a month or more depending sa response nila sa treatment. Our girl weighed a kilo while our boy was just 850 grams. There is a probability daw na mas magstay longer ang baby boy namin. I got a closer look at them and held their hands quickly. Our babies look so fragile right now. But I trust the NICU team will take good care of them. They encouraged my wife to express breastmilk so that may available when they start feeding.