as the day come

As the day passed by , and the freshman welcome party arrived as scheduled. As a representative of the freshmen, Nian Ci was to give a speech on behalf of all the new students. To avoid being late, she hurried to the auditorium early in the morning. Chen Yifei draped his coat over Nian Ci’s shoulders and advised, "If you encounter any problems, remember to tell me immediately."

"Don't worry, I’m tough as nails, plus my Yi Fei brother is so handsome," Nian Ci joked with a playful smile.

Chen Yifei affectionately patted her head and nodded, "I may not be good with words, but I’ll show you through my actions that I’m always here."

From a distance in the corner, Chen Yifei watched Nian Ci confidently walk to the podium and deliver her speech. Her smile, like warm sunshine, filled Chen Yifei’s heart. He silently vowed, "Your smile is beautiful. I hope you can always be this happy."

Despite these thoughts, Chen Yifei noticed a hint of pity in Nian Ci’s eyes when she looked at him. Perhaps she only saw him as a brother, and a subtle unease lingered in his heart. After Nian Ci finished her busy schedule and returned to Yi Fei’s side, she watched the band’s cool performance on stage with anticipation for college life in her eyes. Yi Fei held her hand and led her to the front of the crowd.

"Yi Fei brother, can you sing a song too? Your singing is really good," Nian Ci pleaded sweetly.

Yi Fei initially planned to refuse but then remembered how much Nian Ci enjoyed it. He chose the song "A Premeditated First Encounter" and sang it quietly, pouring his emotions into it.

Watching him, Nian Ci suddenly felt that he seemed a bit different, almost unfamiliar. For a moment, she had the urge to throw herself into his arms. But it was just a fleeting thought, and she laughed, "Yi Fei brother, I’m hungry."

At dinner, everyone sat together, enjoying the lively atmosphere. Chen Yifei still wasn’t accustomed to such warmth. Countless times, he buried his head, not daring to look at her. He had dreams and responsibilities but no desire for her. Nian Ci would secretly glance at him, a fine sweat on her nose. Chen Yifei understood that Nian Ci liked the man in front of her, but this man was thinking of someone else.

These thoughts flashed through his mind as Yi Fei ate his meal, feeling as if his soul had left his body. Everything around him seemed like a vivid illusion—too close, and he felt anxious; too far, and it became blurry. He tried to find a balance, to make this moment last forever, but he could never understand Nian Ci’s inner secrets. Chen Yifei sighed, wondering how to cross that boundary with her.

The night was dark and difficult to navigate. Chen Yifei called Nian Ci over to hold his hand. She did so naturally, without thinking. On the way, she noticed Yi Fei’s slightly cold hand and his uneven eyelashes, indicating his extreme nervousness. "Yi Fei brother, what’s wrong?" she asked softly.

Trying to sound cheerful, Yi Fei replied, "I’m fine. Why are you worried?" He could smell the faint fragrance from Nian Ci, which made him feel immensely at ease.

Nian Ci thought for a moment and then smiled, "Haha, you’re right. Why should I be worried?"

Chen Yifei followed closely behind, wanting to protect her but feeling too nervous to know how. Facing the unknown future, people instinctively feel fear. He didn’t know how to love her in a way that would make her happy. Awkwardly, he placed his coat over her shoulders and said, "It’s cool at night. Don’t catch a cold. Let me take you home."

Chen Yifei looked at Nian Ci’s radiant face, untouched by makeup. She didn’t refuse his offer and looked into his familiar eyes, seeing a different side of him. Nervously, he held her hand tighter. Nian Ci spoke first, "Yi Fei brother, why is your hand so cold?"