Chapter 26: Strawberries

======

===
===

I enter the cab. ''Royal Road 34.''

The car speeds off into the distance.

I begin gazing out of the window to my side, looking at my reflection and the night sky above.

Did I get up too early?

...

Nah, Diesel's probably gonna need to get ready too, which means that I'll have to wait.

And y'all know how long women take to get ready.

''Might I say, Father, you look really good for the occasion.''

... Hare, I'm gonna be honest. Your compliments don't feel like compliments at all. Your tone always sounds so sarcastic that I cannot make heads or tails out of it.

It's getting to be quite the problem.

''...''

''So... If I were to say that you look like absolute shit and that you should kill yourself just for wearing that outfit, would the sarcasm turn the sentence around?''

''Just asking.''

No. Not really.

Even if you were giving an example, that still managed to hurt my feelings for some reason.

''Damn.''

Just then a stray rain droplet fell on the car's window. The realization that I didn't check the weather forecast the night before hit me.

Shit, is it going to rain?

''Don't worry, that girl may have an umbrella you can...''

''Share... Together...''

''...''

''And walk... Closely... Holding each other close under the same umbrella...''

''Father, you've made a terrible decision. Get out at once.''

Haha. No.

You're getting tuned out!

...

''Hey kid.'' The drive spoke. ''You going to the memorial later this morning?''

I diverted my attention away from the outside. ''It'd feel wrong not to go.''

The driver takes a right turn. Diesel's apartment complex should be straight up from here.

''My daughter died in that attack.''

?!

W-Well, this just came out of nowhere.

''Really? I'm sorry for your loss.'' I said, showing sympathy for him.