Chapter 25: Conductress

''... Following up on recent news, the annual AFX Terrorist Attack Memorial is due to take place four days from today. This wretched and terrific attack brought upon Ark Express by Heavenly Ascension has now become a decade old.''

''As it has become a national holiday throughout The Ark, there will be no need to be clocking into work or going to school. The memorial will be held early in the morning at seven, and I ask of you to be mindful and respectful.''

''The memorial will be guarded by multiple Nikke squads so as to not have the same accident happen twice.''

''Heavenly Ascension... The AFX Attack was a gruesome sight. There were approximately 500 casualties, 97 of which were children. There were no weaponry, or any military-based equipment being carried on board. Heavenly Ascension struck down a passenger train filled with many innocents.''

''May God rest their souls... Those poor souls that left us on that faithful day ten years ago...''

.

4 Days Until The Memorial...

I walk into The AZX, getting ready for my gym session with Rumani.

To my surprise, I'm greeted by Soline. Strange, it's usually Diesel who greets me first.

''Ah! Welcome on board Commander!'' Soline bowed her head slightly as she wiped the windows.

''Soline.'' I ruffled her head. ''Good afternoon.''

''S-Stop that!'' She dropped the rag she was using and instead fought away my hand.

''You should listen to her. It would be best if you weren't condemning such pure and young souls to a punishment as cruel as receiving headpats. I, Hare, am willing to take part in Soline's punishment instead of her.''

Fancy way of saying you like headpats.

''I DO NOT-''

Tuned out.

...

Good.

''So, Little Soline.'' I continued to pet away at her head. ''Mind telling me where your mom is?''

''W-What? M-My mom? Are you drunk!?'' Soline fought away my headpatting skills relentlessly as she held a pouty expression.

''One of the specialties that I come with is the fact that I don't need to get drunk to act drunk.'' I answered smugly as I moved my hand away at last. ''What I meant is, where is Diesel?''

Soline's expression fell apart for a moment, but then she looked back up at me. ''O-Oh, well, she's not working today.''

''What?'' I raised an eyebrow.

''You know...'' She looked away, scratching her head. ''It's one of those days where she...''

...

''Nikkes can have periods?'' I sounded skeptical. ''I thought tha-''

''N-Not that!'' Soline blushed embarrassedly as she shook her head. ''I meant that there is a particular reason as to why she cannot work!''

''Then come on now, you're wiping away at my curiosity.'' I crouched down and offered an ear.

Soline looked at me for a solid minute before shaking her head. ''Sorry. Brid told me not to tell you. Or anyone for that matter.''

... Brid.