Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Mattheo Marvolo Riddle was not born as the son of Thomas Marvolo Riddle, with the purpose to have a simple life, but he enjoyed thinking that he did. In his simple life, it would be only him, a never-ending packet of cigarettes and perhaps the occasional conversation with Theodore Nott and Lorenzo Berkshire, who were his best friends. The rest of his Slytherin classmates, who he tolerated from time to time because he had no choice in the matter, he could live without if they were no longer around. In his fantasy world, Mattheo Riddle was a normal person, who was not the son of Voldemort, a Parselmouth or a descendent of Salazar Slytherin. In that world, it was just him on his own. He wasn't the type of person who had an incessant need and desire to be around people.

But that was never going to be his reality. Mattheo was a complicated person, built by years of trauma that would make any grown man go insane. His life was dark and troubled, as if he had a raging storm cloud permanently hanging over his head.

It was safe to say that Mattheo didn't like people very much. He inherited that trait from his father at least or perhaps it was caused by the fact that he lacked a father figure in his life, even to this day. His childhood lacked, or was void completely of attention and affection from parental figures, since he was brought up by the Malfoy family. While they treated him properly with respect, he knew it was only done out of fear of Voldemort ever found out that he was mistreated or disrespected. They all thought Mattheo was exactly like Voldemort and if he wasn't, that he would be one day in his future.

Mattheo knew that it was true that Voldemort had returned to life. He knew the truth when Harry appeared from the maze, yelling that he was back. He didn't need to see it to believe it, but his father hadn't exactly paid Mattheo a visit or tried speaking with him since his return. Not that Mattheo cared at all, he didn't particularly want to talk to his father. Voldemort never really desired to have a son, as opposed to a second-in-charge or soldier. Mattheo wanted neither of those things and in turn, never really desired to have a father. He had learnt to live on his own over his fifteen years, without parental figures in his life, which meant that he was content with his independence.

Because of that, he never sought out friendship or relationships with others. The only exception to this was Theodore and Lorenzo, or Theo and Enzo as he called them. They were his first true friends, even though he spent years being brought up alongside Draco in Malfoy Manor. Ever since Voldemort disappeared, Mattheo was 'adopted' by Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy as their second son. Despite the years spent growing up together, Mattheo was indifferent about his friendship with Draco, if you could call it that. There were times where they got along, and there were times where they hated each other because Draco was jealous of him. Draco was used to thinking he was the best, and Mattheo threatened that because of his parentage.

His friendships with Theo and Enzo were different to anything he had in his life, because they actually meant something to him in completely different ways.

Theo understood what it was like to lack a maternal figure completely from his life while his father who could be present, chose not to be. When he was young at the age of ten, Theo's mother died. His father abused him for many years after his mother died.

Enzo was an interesting friend, in that he was completely unproblematic. Mattheo constantly joked that he should've been placed into Slytherin, with his kindness and care for those he cares about. In an interesting way though, he understood what it was like having an awful upbringing without any family at all.

Therefore, Mattheo wasn't afraid of hiding his words and thoughts from Theo and Enzo. They knew and accepted him for who he was, without judgment.