18. Goodbye

The sterile white lights in the hallway of the hospital stung my eyes that were dry from crying

The sterile white lights in the hallway of the hospital stung my eyes that were dry from crying. Declan had drove me from The Atlantic to St. James Hospital as quickly as he could. He had dropped me off at the front of the hospital and told me to text him where I was while he parked the car, not wanting to keep me from my dad. The nurse at the reception desk told me he was in the emergency room at the back of the building and after what felt like an unnecessarily long time, she scribbled my name on a visitors pass and pointed me in the right direction.

I texted Declan where I was going but from the fresh tears in my eyes, I'm not sure what I sent was intelligible, despite autocorrects best efforts. My stomach was in knots. Isabella was short on her phone call earlier, all she said was that dad was in a serious car accident and the doctors are saying he's going to need surgery. She had a flare for the dramatic but something in her voice seemed different, like she was actually upset.

At the end of the hallway was a sign with an arrow pointing to the left saying 'Emergency Room'. I followed the arrow and came to an opening. A large round desk was in the middle of the space, crowded with nurses and all along the walls were either more halls or doors into private rooms for the patients.

"Excuse me?" My voice cracked as I tired to get the attention of one of the nurses. "Excuse me!" I said more sternly when they didn't acknowledge me.

"Yes?" The brunette asked, turning on her heal, annoyed that she was being interrupted mid conversation with another nurse

"Patrick Murphy? He was brought here, he was in a car accident."

She walked around the desk to an empty computer, a few clicks later and she told me what room he was in. Before I could ask what direction, she was already back into her conversation with the other nurse. Frustrated, I looked around at the room numbers to get my bearings and then headed in the direction of room 1064.

"Scars!" I heard Declan call from somewhere behind me. "Hey, I'm here. Have you found your dad yet?"

My lower lip quivered, more tears were well on their way. "R-room 1064." Was all I could manage.

He put his arm around my shoulders and started walking. "Come on, we'll find him."

Isabella was standing outside of the door to the room. The lights inside were dimmed and the curtain was drawn across so I couldn't see inside to see if dad was still in there. Her arms crossed over her chest, mascara running down her face. Her eyes were narrow slits as she glared up at Declan, who's arm was still around me, her lip curling up in disgust.

"It's about time you made it." She snarled in her eastern European accent. "They're about to take him for surgery."

"Wha-what happened to him?" Using the back of my hand, I rubbed the tears from my stinging cheeks.

"He came to visit my brother, see how things were going at the dealership. They went out to dinner, he was on his way home and now we're here." Her tone of voice was dripping with disgust, like I was some toxic thing she couldn't stand to be around.