Lake house

It's been two weeks since school started and I've been avoiding Evan like the plague. Every girl in school has a huge crush on him, but I wish he would just leave. He's tried emailing me to talk about what happened between us because I refuse to speak in class, but I just delete them from inbox. Zack also always tries to cheer up in English class and he's been gradually coming around more often. As for Cole I've been avoiding him too. Erin came up to me and told me to stay away from him which I had no choice but to do since I didn't want to be a homewrecker, not that I liked him, but girls like Erin are so delusional they make stuff in their head and go around and tell anyone who will listen.

As I was walking to my second period I saw Cole sitting by himself on a picnic table beside the basketball nets. "Hey Sammy" he calls out to me. I stop and turn around. "What is it Cole I'm going to be late to second period". "Some of us are going to Andre's lake house kind of like a welcome back to school party kind of thing, I was wondering if you wanted to come with me?" He asks. "Why don't you ask Erin?" I answer his question with another question. "We're no talking anymore" he replies looking at his feet. "When are you going?" I ask. "So many questions Sammy" he laughs. I shoot him a look. "Ok everyone's going... right now" he says checking his invisible watch. "What about school?"  I snap back. "It's just one two periods, skip it.. come on you've been working so hard you deserve to have some fun. I pause for a moment to think if my option and I finally give In. I walk over to the car where Danny is waiting for us. When we get there Cole opens the back door for me to get get out. Parked not too far from us is Erin, Olivia, and their other friend Liz. They are grabbing stuff from the trunk as I walk passed them holding my arms trying to warm myself up. I'm so u prepared I didn't even bring a sweater or a jacket I think to myself when I feel something being draped over my shoulders. I look back and see Cole giving me a cheeky grin and realize he threw his football jacket over me because he noticed I was cold. The lake house was pretty chill we were all drinking and talking, with a mix of some backhanded comments from Erin and her friends of course. After an hour I look around and realize I haven't seen Cole for. Shit so I walk around the side of the house so see him chopping wood. He notices me watching him "what's up Sammy?" He asks. "Just came to see what you're doing" I respond. Cole stops what he's doing and says "can I ask you a question?". "Anything" I say. He pauses and takes a nervous breath "you and Zach.. are you guys like a thing again?". "No we're just friends, I don't think I  can trust him like that after what happened with Ashley" I say staring at my feet. We're both silent for a moment then he speaks up "good, you deserve more than you know". "Thanks Cole" I say shyly. Why was he being so nice to me after not talking to me since the first day of school? Does he feel bad for me? I don't know, but what I do know is I don't need pity from him.

Cole and I walk back to the group where everyone is standing in a circle. "Look who's back just in time for truth or dare" Olivia says with attitude shuns her voice. "Truth or dare? Like the game we all played in elementary school?" I ask. "Kind of but if you don't want to answer you have I kiss the person to your left and then switch places to keep things interesting" Olivia says giving Erin a look because she noticed I was standing on the left of Cole from when we walked up. "Alright then" I say taking another swig of my drink. "I'll go first, Liz what do you really think of your best friend Paige" Erin says is a snotty tone. "Honestly she's been getting on my nerves I can't stand her" Liz says and starts to laugh. What a fake bitch I'm thinking to myself. "Olivia who was the last person you hooked up with" Liz asks. Olivia then turns to Andre, and they kiss. "Okay.. cole! How does it feel that Andre replaced you as the quarterback on the football team since your accident" she says slurring her words clearly drunk. Cole looks at his feet and then at me. "You wouldn't" Erin says clenching her teeth together. Cole turns to me and puts his hand on my cheek, his face getting closer to mine. There's no way he's going to do it I think to myself. His lips against mine, it felt so amazing, like fireworks were going off in my heart, and butterfly's flying rapidly in my stomach trying to escape through my throat, but it wasn't real. It was all part of a game, he didn't like me, but I didn't like him like that either, or so I thought. When we pulled away from each other dread washed over me. It wasn't real. "I'm done playing this game" I say as I chug the rest of my drink and walk away to go fill my cup with the strongest shit I could find. Cole follows behind me "hey, sorry about that, it's just part of the g-" I cut him off "part of the game I know" I say expressionless. There's a moment of awkward silence before I tell him I don't feel good and asked if he could take me home. When I got home I fall onto my bed thinking about what had just happened. There's so much going on right now I can't handle it, it's constantly stressing me out. I need something, anything.