iii. τριτος

When Lola heard Chiron say that "all will be clear in the morning" she thought he meant it metaphorically. However judging by the black haired goddess in her dreams, Lola guessed that perhaps he was serious. She was familiar with her grandmother, having been visited by her at least a couple of times a month back when she was in Aeaea.

"Heca?"

"There you are sweetheart! Now, on to the serious matters-"

"What's going on? Chiron said a couple of things but, well it was rather cryptic."

"Oh, that crazy old horse. Ignore him. What he was most likely trying to say is that, you're a witch! So, you get to go to Hogwarts. And I know your mother said this and that but I really think that she's being over dramatic."

"Grandma, please, I don't care about being a witch or not, I want to know about the prophecy."

Hecate's entire appearance seemed to sag at that, as if that question had aged her, and her eyes suddenly showed all the centuries she had lived through. When she spoke, it was slower, and the forced cheerfulness was gone.

"It's not important as of now, it might be years until it happens."

"But-"

"No. We're not talking about that right now."

It was moments like this when Lola remembered that these figures, that she saw as normal people, were gods. They could crush her under their heels. She was a passing second in the endless tapestry of life that was a god, probably not important enough to be remembered for more than a year or two.

"We are going to go to diagon alley, to get your school supplies, and announce to the public that you are the official heir to the krusos family. Then you're going to get back to camp, practice actually using a wand and then you go to hogwarts. Easy."

Lola just had a disbelieving look on her face. She knew the gods had a family name in the wizarding world, she didn't think she would have to use it. And then the connection with Hecate wavered and she woke up in her bed.

With forcefully steady breaths she got dressed in what she hoped could pass for normal clothes, and went down. She was met with an arguing Drew, Ethan next to her, telling Chiron exactly where to put his little centaur butt, in more explicit language. Then Drew noticed Lola and dragged her away.

"What was that?"

"Oh, you know Chiron," and Drew put on a deep voice to imitate the centaur "for the greater good, you cannot see Lola this morning."

The girls burst out laughing, and even Ethan looked vaguely amused, mixed with a fair amount of exasperation.

"Hecate should show up at camp any minute now, apparently, but you know what gods are like, time means nothing when you can't fit in it-" Lola began to explain, only stopping when a loud crack noise interrupted her, and she turned to find Hecate.

Drew and Ethan who had never seen her before looked fearful, but Lola simply had a sheepish smile.

There was something about Hecate that made others shiver. She always looked put together, never a hair out of place, and she had a gaze which made you feel small. Hecate was a powerful goddess, one of the most powerful ones.

The goddess looked at Ethan and Drew. Then, at Lola.

"Are they coming too?"

"Is that an option?" Lola asked hopefully.

Hecate only waved her hand dismissively.  "Nevermind. You two are staying behind."

Hecate then offered her hand to Lola.