Chapter three

When I returned home, I whipped off my hat, scarf, and coat. The heat danced on my skin, making me tingle as I slowly defrosted from the harsh winter wind.

Freddie and Johnny were passed out on the sofa as I walked through the house. When I saw the roofless gingerbread houses, I concluded they had a sugar crash, a feeling I was familiar with back when I was their age.

Mum, Auntie Rosie, and Grandma were talking around the kitchen island with a generous glass of rosé. Their smiles grew when they noticed me in the doorway.

"Did everyone make it out alive?" Auntie Rosie asked with raised eyebrows. If only I could tell them the whole story. When the Hughes make a pact to keep something a secret, it becomes a binding contract. I nodded with a smile and pulled out a seat. A big bowl of icing caught my eye on the counter.

The extra special essential of making a gingerbread house is homemade icing. The packet icing will have your house falling before you blink. I dipped my finger in the stunning white icing and savoured the sugary taste. I moaned with pleasure; my sweet tooth was my weak spot.

"You'll throw up." My Mum tutted. "Try this instead." She said, stealing the light grey porcelain bowl from me and handing me a glass of wine instead.

The irony of swapping icing for alcohol was not wasted as we giggled. However, the boys dragging the ridiculously big tree through the house were more giggle-worthy.

Grandma wrapped her arm around me as we watched them sweat. The tree-cutting four prayed it would fit, mainly me, so that they wouldn't blame me, and I'd be the butt of the joke all winter break. When they got it straight, it was short enough to put an angel at the top but big enough for panic to wash over us at the other's reactions.

"What a perfect tree," Grandma exclaimed.

"I love the fresh smell; we should get a real one next year, Sam." Auntie Rosie said as she walked over to admire our hard work. My mum looked so proud of my Dad. I doubt she would be so charmed if she knew I was nearly victim to the killer tree, and he didn't save me. Luckily, Myles was there.

Myles, now that is a boy I wouldn't mind getting to know, to say thank you, of course.

"Sweetie," Grandma called in a hushed tone. "Quick, before your Mum catches us." She revealed the bowl of icing, and we both stole a spoonful. I blame my sweet obsession on Grandma Ada.

***

After the dinner that could have fed the whole of Holyhead Slopes, we retired to the living room. I helped Mum keep the fire burning, and the twins decorated the bottom of the tree. I thought the multiple stacked boxes of decorations were overkill until I digested how big the tree was. Dad found a ladder in the garage and, with the strict guidance of my Grandma, decorated the top.

I happily relaxed on the sofa, watching the fire dance in the fireplace and the twins overload the bottom of the tree. Their excitement didn't last long when Aunt Rosie announced it was their bedtime. The boys had a small room with bunk beds, which they were ecstatic about. Before, it was more of a changing room, but it now belonged to Frankie and Johnny. Grandpa made sure it was decorated for his little princes, as he calls them. The room was a crisp blue with snowboarding dinosaurs pattered on the walls. I will never know where he found that wallpaper, but they loved it. I pray for Uncle Sam that they won't beg him to change their bedroom at home to match.

It didn't take long for me to fall asleep on the sofa. The house was too cosy to fight. The faint murmurs of my Dad telling me it was bedtime made my eyes lazily open. I miss the days when he would scoop me up and carry me to bed, but I am a grown-up now—a grown-up who has passed her bedtime.

I flicked the light on in my room and smiled. The same baby pink walls with a faint white snowflake pattern met me. The walls held pictures of our last cabin trip. I was the littlest at the time and nearly drowning in snow. I was so wrapped up in my snowsuit you could hardly see my face. Jordan had a matching blue suit but was much bigger than me. Jordan and I were raised like siblings, so I never felt left out as an only child, but I was missing him now. How long was this 'exam' going to take?

***

I have a theory that the mountains make me sleep better. I cannot remember the last time I slept so soundly. College life doesn't provide the best schedule or quality; there is always someone awake making noise or an exam to stay up studying for.

Not now, though. I slept like a baby in my fluffy sheets and marshmallow pillows. To make the start of the day even more dreamy, I could smell my Grandma's famous breakfast muffins.

I stretched as I rolled out of bed, instantly missing the comfort. I threw my dressing gown on and slipped my UGG slippers on for the two-story journey to the kitchen.

Grandma met me with a warm smile instantly. She was whipping around the stove like she was feeding the whole mountain.

"Good morning, sweetie." She warmly greeted me.

"Morning Grandma. Got a spare muffin?" I giggled. She gave me an amused expression and handed me a plate.

I was the first one up, or so I thought. Uncle Sam and the twins ran through the back door. I could already hear the scowl coming for not taking their boots off.

"Snow belongs outside, boys. At this rate, we won't have anything to ski on."

A chorus of "Sorry." Was their response. Uncle Sam looked just as flustered as his boys. A Mother's telling off would always have the same effect.

"We're leaving around ten, Abigail. Will you be joining us?" Uncle Sam said hopefully. My breakfast muffin was the only thing my mind had thought about so far. I looked around at the faces that desperately wanted me to say yes and finished my bite.

"I guess. I may as well try out the hot chocolate in the café house." I shrugged. They all quietly celebrated my involvement. Asking me to ski or board with them would go on deaf ears, so my participation in the form of drinking cocoa and reading would have to do.

I searched through my suitcase that I was too tired to unpack last night. I picked a skin-tight, long-sleeved black top and one of my favourite white knitted jumpers. I tucked my second pair of socks over my thermal leggings and instantly felt toasty. I let my hair flow in its natural, slightly frizzy state.

The chaos of the Hughes cabin house was too high for the morning. I assumed we would form some routine after a few days, but for now, my dear family were shouting across the house, asking for their snow boots or goggles. It was a nice change from the calm nature of my home.

***

"Are you sure you're going to be okay, honey?" My Mum asked for the third time. As we stood in the car park, I watched the others gear up for the slopes. I would be lying if a part of me didn't wish I could join them, but I know I would regret it the second my face hit the snow.

"I've been at university for a year. This is a mountain café; I'm sure I'll survive." I laughed.

She kissed my forehead, and I wished the others luck on their first snow day. I had a date with hot chocolate and my first romance hockey book I had seen all over my social media and had finally caved into reading.

The café was just as I remembered, but it had been updated since I was a kid. The basics were the same: all wood, of course, and windows looking out on the slopes. The low light and fireplace made it feel warm and welcoming, and the overflowing snow junkies were only slightly intimidating.

I joined the long queue and read the special board while I waited. This place was fancier than some coffee and cocoa. This had spice lattes and mountain specials. My new break challenge was to try them all.

"Who's next?" A deep voice behind the counter called before he turned around. To my delight, I knew him, but what was he doing here?

"Myles?"