Chapter 10: Kelendria

"Mmm!"

It was my own moan that woke me out of my sleep. I had an out-of-this-world headache, and I was still fully dressed in my outfit from the night before, shoes included. I didn't remember much after we got back from the club except that we had a few more shots of 1942 and rapped along to a few of Boosie's songs. After that it was a blur. Still, somehow I'd managed to make it to my bed, but that was literally how far I got. I was lying on top of my covers on my back, staring at the overhead fan spinning. That was a bad idea, because suddenly I felt an overwhelming sensation to puke.

I jumped up from the bed and ran to the bathroom connected to my room. Well, more like stumbled. Either way I made it just in time to spill all of my insides into the toilet. It smelled like a mixture of wings and liquor. Gross. I gagged a few more times, but nothing else came out.

"Whew!" I breathed, pushing away from the toilet and resting my back on the wall behind me.

Unfastening the clasp on my heels, I took the shoes off and tossed them back into the bedroom. The nauseated feeling was subsiding, and while it did, I got my breathing under control. The last time I was that drunk I was at a Nicki Minaj concert. I told myself back then I would never let that happen again, but obviously I'd lied to myself. There I was sitting on the floor, looking like five women had whooped my ass.

"Kel?" The voice belonged to Melody. I couldn't find the energy to respond, but I knew she would eventually find me. She did. "Oh, my God, Kelendria! Are you okay? Do you need a doctor?"

Melody, who was a ray of sunshine in her satin nightgown and floral kimono, knelt beside me and put a hand to my forehead. She genuinely looked concerned at the state I was in.

"Bitch, I'm not dying. I'm hungover! And it's all your fault."

"My fault? You're the one who brought the 1942!"

"I know, but blaming the way I feel on somebody else just seems like the right thing to do right now. Because admitting to myself I did this sounds so wrong."

"Girl, get your drunk ass up. The cooks came and made us breakfast. You need some grease in your stomach. Come on. Can you shower? You smell like puke."

"I think so."

She helped me up and had me sit on the toilet while she started my water. After that, she left the room and returned minutes later with a water bottle. And that wasn't all she had with her. Ashanti and Kimberly entered the bathroom close behind her. They too were wearing matching satin nightgowns and kimonos.

"Mmm, Melody told us you were in here still drunk. Here. Eat this for now," Kimberly said and held a piece of bacon to my mouth.

I gobbled it down, and it was delicious. Not only that, but it gave me the small boost of energy I needed to take a shower. I went to undress, but my girls stepped in to help me. Once I was completely naked, Ashanti helped me in the shower while Melody lathered a few loofas I'd brought. It wasn't the first time my friends had seen me naked in the shower, but it was the first time they bathed me. I was so grateful to them in that moment because I was using all of my energy to just stand up. Once they were finished, I cleaned my own private areas and rinsed off. Ashanti helped me back out and dry off while Kimberly went and got my nightgown that matched theirs.

"I made these months ago," Melody said to me as I put lotion on my body. "I thought today would be the perfect time to wear them. They're one of a kind because I embroidered all of our names in the bustlines."

The gowns were indeed beautiful. They were the color of champagne, and the floral kimonos were the same color, just sheer. I'd always felt that Melody had done the right thing by leaving the world of law and following her dream of not only being a seamstress, but a fashion designer. She used to keep us all flyer than all of the girls in college with her one-of-a-kind pieces.