Part I: Lost and Found

"Teal'c, cover my six. Daniel, keep an eye out for that cave." Jack, Teal'c, and Daniel ran through the forest, with watchful eyes, looking for that familiar cave.

       Jack hated that they had to leave Carter. But now, with reinforcements, there was a greater chance that they could all make it out alive. Or, at least, that's what Daniel told him.

       Daniel stopped and looked around to find the path they had taken. He scrutched up his face as the smell hit his nose, and looked down at his feet. Acid. He stopped to warn SG-9, and anyone else who was walking through the trail of acid and blood.

        Everyone was silent as they made their way through the forest. At the end of the path was the dark lair, where they hoped to find Carter. Nothing could have prepared Jack for what they saw.

       Major Carter was laying in the cave, her body limp. There was a rip down the middle of her shirt. Her body was covered in sweat and blood.

          Her eyes flittered open and she let out a groan. The rest of SG-1 ran to her aid. Her damp hair clung to her face, which was visibly tear-stained. She spoke almost too quietly for anyone to hear, and her voice was hoarse.

       "Colonel? You've come!"

       "Can you walk?" Jack asked gently.

       She blinked, looked at herself, and replied calmly, "Sir...I can't move."

       Jack called Teal'c over to carry her, and as he lifted her carefully off of the ground, blood poured from an open wound in her stomach. Teal'c was obviously angry at the creature that had done this, for his expression was one of hatred. "We must bandage your wound, Major Carter."

       "I tried," she replied weakly as he began to bandage her wounds. He dipped his head respectfully and looked to Jack.

       All of the sudden, a loud, horrible shriek announced the creature to be blamed. "We gotta go, now!" yelled Jack as they bolted through the entrance. "Daniel, dial the Gate!" He watched as Daniel ran forward to dial home, Teal'c not far behind, with Carter in his arms. She was unconscious.

       Daniel had the Gate dialed within two minutes, and all of SG-1 got safely home. For now.

                                                            ***

       They laid Major Carter on a stretcher in the infirmary, where Dr. Fraiser would be able to take care of her. The rest of SG-1 finished quickly with debriefing, so they could go see how she was doing.

       Daniel begged to see her, but Janet wasn't having it. For the most part, Jack and Teal'c stayed silent.

       "We've got some fluids in her body, but she's not able to digest anything yet. Her body has taken a lot of damage in the last week. Right now, she just needs to be alone."

       This went on for a few days, until finally, Janet let it slide. Jack was the first to see her.

       Most of the lights were turned low, and it took his eyes a minute to adjust. Her face was cleaned of the dirt that smudged it earlier, but the tear stains were still visible. Her eyes were red and bloodshot, and she had obviously been crying. A white blanket covered her body entirely, and a pillow held up her head.

       At first, he hadn't known what to say. Then, it came to him. "General Hammond wants to wipe the coordinates from the database...with your vote."

       Carter wiped her face. "I...I'm aware I can't go back." She stuttered.

       They were both silent for a split second. "There was nothing I could do to stop it...it just-"

       "I know. We shouldn't have left you."

       She cried. "I- I need to go back." She insisted. Tears fell down her face and she wiped them again, making her face turn red. She seemed somewhat guilty, but there wasn't much the Colonel could do. She would have to recover in her own time, on her own terms. The situation had messed with her physically, and mentally, and the physical part could be salvaged. But the mental half was a personal battle. "I want to wipe the coordinates. I want to do it myself." She concluded.

       "When you're ready." He assured her.

       "I'm ready." With that, the Colonel took her hand and lifted her from the infimary bed. He thought that he saw her smile faintly, but when he looked closer, she was frowning again. He left her to dress, and as soon as he did, Daniel flooded him with a million questions.

       "She's fine, Daniel. Just don't crowd her." Janet responded. Daniel sighed and Teal'c actually grinned. Then, Major Carter made her appearance. She hugged Daniel and Teal'c, and thanked Jack. They guided her down the hallway, and she matched them step-for-step. They were SG-1 once again.