Chapter 3 : A Heart Is Breakfast Made Easy

The amethyst fire cloaked a dark figure. The elegant blaze became an ember, revealing a man shimmering in crimson moonlight. His seal brown skin accented those familiar autumn orange eyes. 'Thank you, sir,' the sinister figure said, with a subtle highlight in his voice. He walked over to Woodrow.

The detective felt long, cold fingers wrap around his throat. He could feel his body levitating off the ground. The mysterious man stood motionless, inspecting the battered police officer. 'I am a creature of dignity, so before you die, allow me to recite a poem.

Under the crimson moon, innocent blood should break the seal. Sorrow shall erect the door. Destruction is the beacon of resurrection,' the unknown man said.

The grip around Woodrow's throat tightened, cutting off his oxygen. 'Let's see, should I eat you wearing a familiar face?' the mysterious man asked, transforming into a deceased Chris. 'I am merciful,' he retorted. Suddenly, he punched through the breastbone in one violent thrust, ripping the pericardium.

Long claws wrapped around Woodrow's heart. A light tug caused the organ to burst from the body. Blood, lung, and muscle erupted from the open crater in Woodrow's chest. The mysterious man flung the corpse to the ground. His stomach rumbled with glee as he consumed Woodrow's heart.

The detective found himself wandering the evervoid, his spirit prepared to cross into the final plane. Those autumn orange eyes radiated from a distance. Woodrow began to run. 'No way you can die twice,' he thought. The eyes started speeding toward him. Woodrow looked back long enough to slow down. A giant, snarling mouth barreled through him, gorging on his soul.

The mysterious man chuckled, wiping his mouth with a mauve napkin. 'What kind of demon do you take me for...?'