Chapter 1 : The Curse Of Martin Luther King Boulvard

The crimson moon set a sinister ambience. Martin Luther King Blvd was rife with police officers and caution tape. The crime scene was an array of blood, bullets, and tire tracks. CSI unzipped the body. You can still smell the flesh smoldering from the intense bullet spray. The young face was known to the officers who work the area; this was Katrina's son, Chris Mosely, but everyone knew him as Munch.

He was a good kid with NBA
dreams. Isn't that always how the story ends for those who don't know the streets? I asked myself. Fits of screaming and hollow cries broke my somber thoughts. I turned to see Katrina fighting with officers to break through the yellow tape. Who the heck let her near the crime scene, I thought to myself.

I raced over to console her. I reached for her hand, then she struck me. I was unprepared for the force presented by such a petite woman; I stumbled back! 'Katrina, try to calm yourself,' I murmured. 'Don't make me arrest you. This is a tough situation, I know, but you can't be here,' I continued.

My words struck a nerve, and she relaxed a little. 'Woodrow John called me!' 'Find John; he was with Chris!' Katrina exclaimed, wiping tears, spit, and sweat from her face. 'Katrina, we will talk to you. Let me do my damn job. I hear you... but please go with the other officers,' I implored.

She finally listened. After being whisked away, she screamed, 'Find John,' one more time. I turned my attention back to the crime scene. Light rumblings amongst the crime scene investigators made me nervous. 'Hey detective, come check this out,' Tim said. I approached the body once again. I noticed everyone working the scene was paying special attention to the blood.

Fear pranced among the older officers. Flushed faces gave way to slight confusion as those around us questioned our facial expressions. A young officer approached me. 'Sir, why the sudden look?' I smiled and pointed to the crimson moon. The refracted light gave the blood an adverse gleam, and the pattern itself resembled a smiling skull.