Nothing but the truth

• Nathan Novak •

• Nathan Novak •

"If you want to keep a secret,
you must also hide it from yourself."

Nate had barely slept a wink that night, the after-effects of which he was now feeling the next morning. He had been glad to hear that the Ministry hadn't caught Serena and he hoped it would stay that way.

He barely listened as Umbridge addressed the entire school that morning, announcing that anyone who withheld important information about Serena's whereabouts would be punished. How good that he didn't even know exactly where she was. He could only hope that she was safe there.

"Is there another student missing?" she added with a grim face and let her gaze wander over the four house tables, where a loud whisper had broken out in the meantime. None of the students seemed to be able or willing to give her an answer. It was Snape who stepped forward and whispered something to Umbridge, whose face instantly darkened, presumably having just been informed of the loss of another student.

Nate hadn't expected Edmund Hall to go with her. Helping her, yes, but going on the run with her was something completely different. But it made sense, at least after what he had found out the day before.

"If no one has found her yet, then that's a good sign, isn't it?" Tim tried to cheer him up and seemed to have noticed his furrowed brow.

"It's not that," sighed Nate, lowering his voice, "Did he tell you? That... you know."

The older boy shook his head. "No, but it does explain a lot."

Nate folded his hands on the table and began to cradle his head. Actually, none of it made any sense. Why hadn't Hall told anyone about this? Not even his closest friends knew about it, apparently, but it was something worth mentioning.

"Wrackspurts, huh?" he heard a bright dreamy voice say from across the room. "They've been especially annoying lately."

"That's right," Nate said, wishing that it really was just an invisible being that was messing with his mind. At least his answer brought a small smile of satisfaction to Luna's face, who then began to flail wildly through the air a few times, presumably to drive the creature away.

Suddenly he felt a sudden rush of air next to him, and it wasn't the blonde's flailing movements. Hailey had settled down next to him like a whirlwind and was now looking at him expectantly. "Where the hell is Serena?"

"I don't know," he replied truthfully, but the Hufflepuff didn't seem to want to let up. "But you know what happened, don't you?"

"Can we please not discuss this here?" Nate asked quietly, looking around his house table, where quite a few students had already pricked up their ears. On the way out of the Great Hall, he began whispering to her about what had happened the night before and when he finished, her mouth was open as if she was trying to catch flies, "You know the secret and you don't tell me?"