Anne

Anne and Jenny arrived at their usual sunday lunch with Jenny's parents. Jenny's mother, the epitome of a mother hen, greeted them with warm smiles and inquiries about their well-being.

"Anne, dear, how are you? You're looking lovely as always," Jenny's mother hugged her, eyes sparkling with affection.

"Yeah, hello to you too, mom!" Jenny smirked, stealing her mom's attension for herself.

"Hush! I saw you yesterday," her mom said, but hugged Jenny anyway.

Anne returned the smile, grateful for the maternal touch she received from Jenny's mother. "Thank you, Mrs. Thompson. I'm doing well, just keeping busy with work and all."

Jenny, already bursting with excitement, launched into a lively recount of her recent birthday party, prompting her mother to exclaim, "And you didn't invite me?"

Jenny rolled her eyes in response. "Mom, you know it was just a small gathering with friends."

Well, Anne was lost in a sea of faces in a Jenny's small gathering. She raised and eyebrow at her, but Jenny just smirked.

As they settled around the table, Jenny's father arrived with a steaming bowl of soup, placing it at the center.

He was clothed in just a tank top and shorts, which earned him his wife's scrown.

"John!" She closed her eyes, mainly to not look at him. "Wear something decent! We have a important guests! And it's Sunday!"

But Mr. Thomson looked at each of them, grinning. "Where?"

"Just...wear something clean, now!" She told him and looked at the girls again.

Mr. Thomson shugged, kissed her and went to change, to look more representative.

Anne adored Jenny's parents. When she confided in Jenny about not having parents of her own, Jenny responded with sympathy, inviting her to join their Sunday lunch.

Mr. and Ms. Thomson welcomed her like their own, which Anne found heartwarming, being all alone in her world of chaos.

"Jenny told us all about you," Ms. Thomson smiled warmly then. "I'm so glad I can finally meet you." She continued, asking Anne about her favorite food, promising to make it for her next time. Anne couldn't help but feel touched by their hospitality.

"When Jenny told us about your parents," Jenny's mother told her. "I prayed for their souls. You must be so lonely! I will pray more!"

Anne was genuinely surprised to learn that Jenny came from a deeply Catholic family of believers.

Jenny, despite her upbringing in a deeply religious household, was more of a "Party hard and Sunday sleep" kind of girl.

When she stepped into the living room at Jenny's parents for the very first time, she was met with a classic charm and smell of the delicious food from the kitchen.

She saw a lot of books on their sofa and coffee table.

"John likes to read books about fishing," Ms. Thomson remarked, rolling her eyes as she noticed Anne looking at the books. "I can't understand it, as he can always go and catch them himself..."

She gave him a mischievous smile. "Well, maybe you should leave now and let us gossip in peace!"

"I heard it!" Mr. Thomson grinned.

"You should have," Jenny's mom chuckled. "I wasn't being quiet about it at all."

And that was how Anne met Jenny's parents—a memorable encounter filled with warmth, laughter, and a touch of playful banter.