Chapter 27

WALKER

If you told me a year ago I would be sitting in a childbirth class, I would have died of laughter. Yet, here I am and I’m enjoying myself. Watching the instructor of the class give examples of different types of breathing techniques shouldn’t have been this funny, but between Mitch’s chuckles and Bev’s giggles, I can’t help but find myself laughing as well.

Mitch called me just as I was stepping foot inside my house and there was an urgency in his voice. He told me all about the hospital tour and then the class. I knew about the tour, but Bev left out the part about the class afterward. If she told me, I would have volunteered, but maybe that’s why she didn’t. I had to make a few phone calls to find a sitter, but being there for Bev was important.

I was nervous about joining the session. There was a chance she might tell me to leave and even get angry that Mitch and I had made plans for her behind my back, but she seemed happy to see me. Mostly shocked, but definitely happy. Bev’s a proud woman and doesn’t like to ask for things. If I’m going to impress her and show her how much I care, I’m going to have to widdle my way into her life and predict what she needs before she even needs it. She’s worth all this work though.

“You’re all going to hell for this, you know?” Brie whisper-yells at the three of us.

Mitch rubs her neck in reply, “Sorry, Sweet Brie, but you have to admit, some of these are pretty funny sounding.”

“You three are being super immature,” she rolls her eyes. “I’m trying to learn here. I’m hoping to not get an epidural.”

“Whoa, hold up,” he said way too loud and then quieted down after getting some dirty looks from other couples. “You’re not getting an epidural. Shit, baby, you need to find another birth partner. You’re going to murder me if you’re in pain. You know I wasn’t a tiny baby, right?”

“That’s why I’m here, Mitch, so I can learn how to manage the pain, no matter how big this linebacker is.”

“What about you, Bev,” I rub her shoulders, “what are you planning?”

“If I could get the epidural before I even get to the hospital, that would be great.”

“Switch with me,” Mitch says, scooting back from Brielle slightly.

“What?” 

Brielle whips her head around, “Excuse me?”

Mitch ignores his wife though, “You’ll love Brielle, but I’m going to help the person who is getting the pain meds.”

“Mitch Alexander,” Brielle glares at her husband, “if you change pregnant women right now I will make it so you will never be able to get somebody pregnant again.”

Bev giggled, but I grimaced right along with Mitch. She was definitely not one to mess with, but I wrapped my arms around Bev’s shoulders and pulled her back into my chest. “I’m happy where I am, Mitch. I’m not planning on switching partners anytime soon.”

“I don’t think I want him anymore,” Brielle mumbled under her breath.

After the class ended, the instructor gave us some “homework” to do. I had no problem making sure that I was working on those comfort spots with Bev, but I wasn’t too sure how she’d feel. I wanted to respect her boundaries. I know that she’s still back and forth on how she feels about us. We haven’t talked about it, we haven’t put a label on it, but I’m in this with her 100% and I just hope everything I’ve done for her shows her that.