forty nine

☄. *. ⋆ WHEN IT WAS GOOD BABY
IT WAS GOOD, BABY
taylor swift

STELLA

THE BURDEN of feeling like a complete fool got stronger day by day. After my run in with Matt, it only seemed to worsen.

I was blinded by the factor of love that I didn't realize he was slipping away. And maybe, just maybe, things could have been different.

The guilt that I had locked away was back, eating me alive. I never deserved someone like Matt Boldy, he was simply;too good for me.

I sighed deeply as I tossed my keys onto my countertop, shuffling through the mail, bills on bills stacking up.

My brows furrowed as I flipped over the stamped envelope, tearing it open with no desire to save the paper, my curiosity getting the better of me.

YOU'RE INVITED! JOIN THE USA HOCKEY AND FIGURE SKATING TEAM FOR A REUNION.

I could feel my hands shaking as my eyes dipped lower, my lower half resting against my kitchen counters as I felt weak in the knees.

MAY 2nd, PLYMOUTH MICHIGANS JOSIES HALL! WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

I slapped it down with my palm, the overbearing of it becoming too much for me. Overstimulated was the word I would use.

My phone buzzed across from me, another loud groan leaving my lips as I grabbed it, blindly answering.

"Hello." I huffed, tucking it between my shoulder and ear as I began to unpack last nights leftovers.

"Hey, stranger." The voice on the other line laughed, the familiarity of it brought a small sheepish smile to my lips.

Trevor. Z. I chuckled lightly. Trevor and I hadn't spoken much these days, with the bustling schedule of a professional hockey player and a traveling coach, it's almost like we forgot to exist to each other.

Trevor was that friend. The one you could go years without talking to but still be closer than ever. That was Trevor and I. Since birth, inseparable.

"Did you get it?" Trevor asked, shuffling on his side of the line. "You know, the invitation."

I glanced back towards the wrinkled thick paper lying on my countertop, a hum leaving my lips. "Sure did. Is this what you're calling me for?"

"Yeah." Trevor confirmed. "I just wanted to see if you were going? Please, please go."

"I don't know, Trevor." I clicked my tongue, shutting my microwave with my elbow as I set down the steaming bowl of soup. "There's not really anyone I want to see."

I could hear the scoff leave Trevor's lips, I could see the offended expression look on his face.

"Rude." He teased. "Not to mention, your beautiful best friend Trevor will be there, so will Cole, Alex, Cam, even Boldy!"

"Funny." I chuckled, rolling my eyes. "I saw Boldy the other night."

Trevor went quiet for a moment. "Sorry, what? What do you mean?"

"It's funny, actually." I sat down on my couch, kicking my feet up. "We ran into each other at a bar in Saint Paul and we talked for, like, hours. He told me a lot I apparently didn't know."

I popped open the screw cap on Loren's bottle of wine, watching the crimson red liquid fill the glass half way.

"Oh." Trevor trailed off. "That's sweet, isn't it?"

"It was actually." I said genuinely, tipping my head back as I took a gulp of the dingy wine. "So, Trevor, you're calling me to convince me to go. Aren't you?"

Trevor sighed lowly into his speaker. "Fine, yes. But it wasn't just my idea! Cole wants you to come, so does Turcs and Yorkie!"

"Wow!" I mocked. "That's, like, five people. I'm honored."

"Jack wants you to come, too." Six words that had chills going down my spine.

I swallowed thickly, feeling the goosebumps arise on my skin from the impending shock his words had on me. I shook my head like he was sitting before me.

"No." Was all I could say, my head still shaking. "That's not funny, Trevor."

"I'm not making it up!" I could practically hear the whine. "He called me and asked if you were going. I told him that I wasn't exactly sure."

I crawled until my back met the end of my couch, my knees meeting my chest.

"Then what?" I asked. I felt fucking pathetic. Even after all this time, he still had this control over me.

"He said it would be nice to see you." Trevor paused, clearing his throat. "And that he hoped that his presence wouldn't drive you away from the event."

It's like Jack could read my mind. If there wasn't a slim chance of running into him, I would be jumping at the thought of seeing my old friends. But the thought of seeing him again made me shrivel.

"Well, he's right." I finally spoke. "I don't want to go if he's going. Trevor, I can't."

"Stella." Trevor had the stern tone, preparing me for whatever life advice he was going to give me. "When are you going to let him stop controlling your life? You two haven't spoken in two years and you're still worked up about it?"

I wanted to scream at him, at everything, everyone, for the position I got myself in. Trevor didn't understand, I feared that no one did.

"It's complicated." I exhaled deeply, feeling my shoulders slump. "I think it would be stupid any way. I hate social gatherings."

I could hear Trevor snort. "Yeah, okay. Look, I know for a fact that you're in Plymouth. Your tour is over. Cole and I will pick you up."

I didn't bother to argue because I knew he'd win. I knew no matter what I'd say, he would be outside waiting for me. Even worse, he'd come inside to hunt me down.

"Okay!" I whined, covering my face. "I'll go. But if shit hits the fan, I'm blaming you."

"I can't wait to see you!" Trevor squealed. "I knew I could convince you."

filler chapter
but i hope yall r ready.