Chapter 10

Odette's pov: The feast of kings.

I looked around until I finally saw my parents and the rest of our group enjoying themselves in a large corner, further away from other groups in the same area.

I picked up the hem of my dress and very quickly made my way back to everyone.

Odette: "Mom, dad."

My parents turned around and with grateful smiles on their faces, they embraced me with a tight hug.

Sofia: "My darling, where have you been all night? We were so worried about you."

Odette: "As you can see for yourselves, I'm still in one piece. I apologize for not coming sooner."

Odette: "I met a new friend in the hallway earlier and we started a great conversation, later he escorted me into the ballroom and we just enjoyed dancing the whole night."

When I finished with my confession, my cheeks flushed a deep red and I averted my eyes from theirs for a moment, before facing my parents again. Mom stared at me with a strange glint in her eyes and a large smile on her face. Dad on the other hand, stood up straighter and his facial expression grew stern.

Charlie: "Mmm, so you met a new friend...What is his name? Where is he from? And what is his occupation?"

My eyes grew bigger and my complexion suddenly became pale after hearing the serious tone in my dad's voice and urgent look in his eyes.

Odette: "I just know his name is Alex. We haven't talked about where he's from or what his occupation is yet."

Odette: "He is well mannered; a true gentleman and he makes me feel at ease and safe whenever I'm in his presence."

Odette: "From deep inside my being, I just know he is good and that I can trust him. That's unfortunately all I can tell you about him, for now."

Is what I told my mom and dad while staring them straight in the eyes, my head lifted with confidence.

My mom took my dad's hand and gave it a little squeeze. Dad in return relaxed his composure a little and the look in his eyes also softened.

Sofia: "Well this is exciting news my love, the rest we will find out in due time, when we get to meet your friend Alex. Don't you agree my dear?"

Mom looked up at my dad with a smile on her lips and anticipation glowing in her eyes.

Charlie: "Yes my darling, of course you are right, we can find out everything about him when we finally meet him ourselves."

I glanced at my mom with a grateful smile on my face. Afterwards we returned to the group and immersed ourselves in the conversations and activities.

For a while longer, we talked and enjoyed ourselves, before someone started ringing a large bell. Afterwards a loud voice suddenly announced it was time for the feast to begin and that we should slowly make our way to the dining hall in the next room.

After the announcement, two large wooden doors opened at the back of the ballroom and small groups of individuals, slowly made their way through the doorway to the next room.