𝟓

𝟏𝟐𝟕 𝐀𝐂.
-☆-

"𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐎. 𝐌𝐘 𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐄 𝐈𝐒 𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐄𝐀."

Baela and Rhaena sat on a bench with one another, sullenly staring on at the world as if looking death itself in the face. Astraea took the initiative, assuming that Jace was going to continue to sulk over the dark cloud hanging over Harrenhal.

"I...I am so sorry that this has happened to you," she said, offering a weak smile and sitting next to the girls. "When my mother died, I was tired of hearing that it had happened for a reason, that the Mother understood when it was someone's time. It wasn't fair. So I offer my apology to you, not because I believe that it happened for any reason at all, but because it simply was not fair."

Jace glanced at her, following the brunette's lead and gently taking Baela's hand.

"Thank you," Baela says, glancing up at Jace before quickly looking away to Astraea, who sat on the other side of Rhaena.

"I like your dress. Purple is the best color, I think." The younger sister said.

"I think yours is beautiful too," Astraea smiled, "It's soft."

Aemond watched the four from afar, contemplating approaching them. He still felt needed to apologize to Astraea, or at least talk to her. When he was close enough to be noticed, Jacaerys stared at him, willing the boy to go away. Aemond attempted to smile at him, getting no positive reactions from Jace, So he just stepped closer to Astraea.

"Hi, Astraea. I wanted to talk to you."

The girl looked up from her conversation with Rhaena, smiling at Aemond. "Of course."

Jacaerys felt his hand clench tighter around Baela's, rolling his eyes at the pair.

Aemond and Astraea walked together, making their way through the crowd.

"I wanted to apologize."

"Whatever for?" Astraea asked, tilting her head.

"My mother," Aemond says, "I didn't know she would treat you in such a manner."

"We were all playing collectively, you say that as if you were the culprit of my filthy dress."

"I could've defended you."

"She left no room for defense."

"She had no reason to speak in such a way," Aemond sighed.

"I would much rather me than you. My father is just as stern, if not more." She patted his shoulder reassuringly, grinning at him. Aemond found her smile contagious, he loved it so.

"Astraea?"

"Hm?"

"You're very dear to me. I would be fine if I never ever got a dragon if it allowed me to keep you." Aemond blinked, staring out at the beach.

"You're very dear to me as well, Aemond. I like making you smile, not many can do that."

"You can."

"I can."

Astraea spotted Lucerys standing alone, and she walked up to him, kneeling to his height.

Lucerys played with the horse Astraea had seen many times before, her heart clenching at the thought of who the gift had come from.

"Hello there, little prince." Astraea gently took the horse from his stubby hands, replacing it with her pinky.

"Everyone says I have to be Lord of the Tides. I don't want to." Luke tells her, "Because that'll mean that everyone is dead."

"Perhaps I will not be," Astraea says, " And you and I can create an alliance between the constellations and the sea. Besides, you'll be older when most are all gone. By then, wouldn't it be annoying to always have someone bigger in your ear bossing you around?"

"But what if I live longer than you? Don't wanna go to your funeral." Lucerys pouted, and Astraea cradled his face in her hands.

"We cannot always get what we want, but I swear to you, you will be happy."

"I am happy. I am happy now, nothing needs to change."

"But it will, little prince. That is why people try to control. To feel like they have a choice in the changes."

"I think that you should not change, ever."

Astraea gives the toy back, laughing.

"Then I will not."

                                         -☆-

When the sun was long set, Aemond snuck out of the guest chambers. He wandered the beach, listening to Vhagar, the late lady Laena's dragon. Her breaths vibrated the sand more with each step closer he took.

A small nervous feeling made itself known in the bottom of his stomach, knowing the rules. Rhaena, Laena's second daughter, had yet to claim a dragon. She should have the opportunity to claim her.

But this could be his only chance, and it would prove him worthy of something. He was tired of the constant jesting and mocking. So he walked closer. He reached out to Vhagar, touching her scaly side. Her large eyes opened, threatening the intruder by opening her mouth to show the hot inside.

"Dohaerās, Vhagar! Lykirī!" Aemond flinched, pulling away fast from the massive beast.

The dragon closed her mouth, grumbling slightly.
Aemond hesitated for a moment, touching her again. The dragon simply sighed, blowing steam from her nose. The boy swallowed, breathing deeply and climbing onto Vhagar's back.

"Sōvēs, Vhagar!" The Targaryen shouted, holding onto her. The  dragon huffed, slowly getting up from where she lay and taking a few steps, opening her wings and flying up. As she got higher, Aemond's hands began to slip from the harness, and he found himself hanging on and screaming.

By steering her left, he managed to climb back on and hold on tighter, flying over the sea. He was in awe of the feeling, being above it all. The adrenaline was incredible.

As he landed, he climbed off Vhagar with a triumphant grin on his face. He'd claimed a dragon, the one think he'd prayed for over and over.

He wondered if he'd have done it again, if he'd known the spiral of events it would cost him.