02_ZOE

Jenna reached out to touch and feel the fabric. It was soft and warm and pleasing to the eye. She looked to Darlia. "They're beautiful!" she said candidly.

Darlia was pleased. "Well, try them on and show me. Let's see if I didn't get anything too terribly wrong." She pointed to two rooms nearby. "Girls over there, boys over there."

The Ophilion reverently gathered their outfits and entered their assigned changing rooms.

The boys were first to reappear. Darlia's face lit up and she appraised them silently for a few seconds. "Fel, lift your arms for me." Fel complied. "Good... the sleeves are a touch long, but... we can't change that now. Orion, let's see your back, turn around... ok... the waist could have been narrower, but with the sash... Now look at me, both of you." The boys stood at attention. "Good, you're naturals. You should have seen how long it took me to get Michael to stand like that." She laughed and Michael rolled his eyes.

The girls exited, demurely, wondering if they had adjusted everything correctly; hoping they looked the way they were supposed to. "Ahhh, Magnificent!" Darlia cooed. "Ok, lift your arms and turn around slowly a couple of times."

The other young people watched them with admiration. Orion watched Celli. He had never seen her looking like that before. Fortunately, he remembered to close his mouth before anyone noticed.

The apprentice outfits were a pair of trousers that wrapped around the waist and tied at the side and at the ankles. The result of the cut and flowing fabric was a flattering, very comfortable garment. They were each given a tight-fitting shirt which buttoned up from the bottom of the chest to the neck. Over that they wore a tunic of fine soft material similar to their pants. The tunic had five buttons in the front. Their footwear was elegant looking slip-on shoes made of a light-weight, sturdy fabric with which they were not familiar.

Each outfit complimented not only their appearance, but their character. All of the tones were pastel and earthy, some darker, some lighter – none of them were identical.

"Good, good." Darlia said, assessing them. "Make sure your medallions are visible on the outside of your tunics." As they took them out from under their shirts the two local teenagers made small but audible gasps. They knew the Ophilion possessed them, but seeing them was another matter. Jenna noticed this and glanced at Kalia. She would ask them about it when the time was right. Being on the Henosis was an opportunity to gain lots of new information.

"Now, stand together, all four of you. Shoulders back, arms at your sides, feet slightly apart, chin up." They raised their chins. "But not too far up." They lowered them a bit. She looked at Kalia and Ryan for their opinion. They nodded their approval. "Good. Stand just like that during the ceremony." She turned to the young Merenthaal. "I suppose you had better get dressed too, darlings, time is ticking."

"Right," Kalia said; then to the Ophilion: "Okay, we'll see you there." She looked at each of them. "Your outfits suit you well," she said.

"Thank you," Jenna replied. "Will we see you after?"

"Of course!" Michael said, "We'll find you." And their guides turned and left.

"Come with me," Darlia said, with expectation. "There are some people you need to meet."

They reentered the arena and proceeded towards the central circle. A group of people had arrived since they had first crossed it, and were standing under the starry dome, conversing. As they approached, they recognized most of them: Arthur and Maria, Miguel and Chi; Cathandra, Galian, Takea and Kylor – looking fabulous in their official attire. The group turned to watch as Darlia led the Ophilion toward them.