Classroom Gazes

(A/N): I honestly don't know what I should name this chapter...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Narrator POV

"And that is the reason why you don't mix inorganic peroxides with combustible materials such as barium, sodium, and potassium," Professor Irene concludes, ending her lecture for the day.

"I will only be giving you two practice questions to work on because after this, we will be having our homeroom election."

The class silently cheered among themselves, others already whispering to each other about who they would be voting for.

Of course, the Incheon transferees weren't an exception to the excitement.

"I wonder who the president will be," Hyein muses, placing a finger on her cheek.

"I'll make you one if you want," Jaejin teases her.

"Puh-lease, I know for a fact that being class president is not what I look forward to," Hyein answers sassily as Jaejin chuckles.

"I know, but I believe if you were, you would handle it just fine," He pats her head softly, causing her to giggle.

"Awe, thanks Jaejin-ie!"

"With that being said, I'm still nominating you for something just for the fun of it, like being the secretary."

"You know, you are either really sweet or really freaking annoying, Jaejin-ie. No in between," Hyein softly punches his chest, leaning her head at his arm chair. "Anyway, how did lunch go for you yesterday? I feel bad for leaving you all alone."

"Oh, it's alright. Nothing wrong with wanting to meet new people," Jaejin leans back on his chair to give me space for my head that's leaning on his arm chair. "Besides, I wasn't alone."

"Is that so? That's good! Who'd you eat with?" Hyein asks.

"Hanni and Danielle," He answers.

Hyein's ears perk up upon hearing the familiar names. She remembered that they were the pretty girls who befriended them yesterday.

"Oh, those two?" Hyein smirks, looking in their direction. "First day and already hanging out with other girls, huh? Such a playboy move, if you ask me."

"Shut your trap."

"Whatever~"

RIght then and there, Hyein immediately caught something tea-worthy as Jaejin yapped about the events of yesterday.

Hanni was staring at Jaejin with a lovestruck expression; like a maiden in love with a charming prince. So much so that Hanni totally cannot see Hyein staring at her.

Hyein giggled, remembering the shorter girl being all shy and jittery around Jaejin yesterday, and knowing that they already spent lunchtime together, there was no denying that she has a thing for her best friend, Jaejin.

"Hehe," Hyein smiled mischievously, still eyeing at Hanni. This school year will be so interesting. She just knows it!

_______________________

While the students at the front seem to be lively and optimistic, certain students at the back were not really vibing as much as their front row counterparts.

Most specifically, Kim Minji, the class' outcast.

'Why do we need to do this election bullcrap in the first place? We're not the government,' Minji rants to herself as she stares out the window.

She doesn't get why the mere mention of a homeroom election always brought excitement to the class. She always thought that it was nothing more than a silly game of play-pretend that wouldn't get them anywhere.

With that being said, this year's class was no different.

"I'm going to nominate our queen, Haerin, as class president!" She heard the fanboys talk among themselves about their plan to uplift Haerin in such a position. She truly wondered why Haerin hasn't told off these guys who were basically treating her like a higher deity.

She glanced beside her to see Haerin sleeping on her arm chair. She honestly felt bad about her as she noticed that Haerin looks exhausted to be in the same vicinity as these guys as well. Out of respect, Minji didn't bother to wake her up, letting her be. She'll naturally wake up when called on, anyway.

In front of her she saw the two transferees subtly horsing around; taking each other's stuff and giving the other a hard time reaching for it, nudging each other repeatedly, mocking one another.

She heard that they were best friends but the way they act made her naturally question if they had something more going on between them.

She eyed Jaejin's face, trying to find any sign of romantic affection towards Lee Hyein yet found nothing. They genuinely just looked like the bestest of friends, easing the tension on her mind.

"Wait, why should I care?" She mumbles to herself and averted her gaze back to the window. She didn't know why she was relieved, she just was.

________________________________

Meanwhile, Danielle sighed at the sight of her lovestruck friend. They were in the middle of talking about the positions they were aiming for as homeroom officers but Hanni somehow got distracted... again.

"Hanni? Are you there?" She snaps her fingers, bringing her friend back to reality.

"Hm? Yes? What? Yeah? Huh?" Hanni's words stumbled, showing that she was clearly out of it.

"Been staring at him for a while now, huh?" Danielle asks softly, careful not to show any hint of overprotectiveness.

"What? Psh~ I'm not staring at Jaejin, no, what makes you think that?"

"I... didn't mention any name, Han," Danielle chuckled lightly as Hanni's face turned beet red, realizing that she just outed herself.

Don't get her wrong, Danielle doesn't see anything wrong with Hanni having a crush. It's just that she has known Hanni ever since they were still living in Australia. She knew that when Hanni gets attached with someone, she sticks with them like a strong magnet, refusing to let them go until she can't hold on anymore.

It was really sweet that Hanni holds every person she cherishes dear to her heart, and to be part of that was a privilege, but it has also led to a few heartbreaking scenarios for her friend. Hanni still needs work in learning that not everyone that she treats so affectionately could and would treat her the same way.

Judgemental as many would say, Danielle is just doing her part as Hanni's best friend to protect her heart from people who would potentially break it, she couldn't stand seeing Hanni cry her eyes out and she was not going to let that happen again.

"How'd you even know that?" Hanni whined, covering her face with her hands.

"You're being too obvious," Danielle stated as a matter of factly. Hanni did seem like she was digging holes into Jaejin's head the way she was staring. "Even Hyein caught you staring, man."

"Say what?" Hanni turned to see Hyein with a sly smile while wiggling her eyebrows up and down.

"Ahh!!" Hanni muffled her scream with her hands, feeling extremely embarrassed at this point. She thought it was better than being caught by Jaejin, but still, being caught by his best friend is just... "Dani... Just throw me out that window."

"No can do," Danielle giggled her head slightly turning to the left. She glanced at Jaejin, the boy who's got her best friend lovestruck for him.

"Park Jaejin, huh?" She muttered under her breath, scoffing. "He better be a genuinely good person, for reals."

After a few minutes of the students finishing their tasks, Professor Irene smacked her meter stick at the blackboard, gathering everyone's attention immediately.

"Okay class, it's now time for our homeroom election! Let's start."

__________________________