Pair of Boots

Tree roots are woven together underground to form a place similar to villages and cities where people live, grow and die together. However, like trees, people do not intertwine with those who are not like them. The forest consists of one or two types of trees, but no more, and in such a forest the village in which I live is located.

- Hey, girl! You are picking the wrong berries!

- I'm sorry...

- Be careful. - Said the mother of the owner of the shop.

I was helping there from time to time. She tried to treat me well, but it was clear that this wasn't sincere.

- Mrs, what about...

- Shhh! Be quiet! - She covered my mouth and looked away. - They say his cloak soaked in a lot of blood... - she looked at the man passing by.

- Who is that? - I whispered.

- Sh! Didn't you hear what I said?

- But...

- Shh!

When I tried to look at him, the last thing I saw was his boots, they were somehow different.

When we returned to the shop, the whole village whispered about the traveller who had passed the village.

- It's a demon!

- Men like him shouldn't pass the village!

- Why didn't he die then...

***

Evening. The place where I lived was near the edge of the forest. I smelled fried meat and followed this smell. The field was lit by the light from the fire. Little fireflies from the fire filled the air. I was able to see the silhouette of a man from behind the bushes. He sat holding a leather-bound book in one hand and meat in another. I noticed those shoes right away. They looked different. The skin on those boots was tattered so that it had its pattern, which reminded me of the spider lily flowers that grew near the place where I lived. I wanted to see more, so I tried to get closer.

- How long are you going to sit there? - His gaze gave me goosebumps. - Get out.

I took off like a rabbit. I don't know why, but at that moment I was scared.

Still thinking about that man, I entered the aunties house. If people are so afraid of him, then there must be a reason for that. I want to know more about that.

- Darling, where have you been so long?

- Sorry, did you need my help?

- Not at all.

I was about to go upstairs, but Auntie asked me to stay.

- Shall we go to the garden? We need to talk.

Auntie sat down next to the lilies and began to pick them.

- There is a slight issue. Mr. Hekku will be here soon. He still doesn't know that we let you in. We sheltered you for a while, but I'm afraid that time has come to an end. You can still sleep here today, but tomorrow, please, clear your place.

I got it perfectly. She reached out and hugged me, but I didn't feel anything. Neither regret nor sadness. It was a matter of time.

When I woke up, my aunties were still asleep. They always slept in after work, because they worked at night.

There was no help. I had no idea what to do, but then I remembered a field, a pair of boots and the man.

All that was left in that place were burnt branches. Apparently, the man has already left. However, something interesting and alluring was on the ground. Those were the footprints.