Chapter 4: Cyrax

After the death of one of his own and the talk with Lord Raiden, Cyrax makes his way to the birdge hanging over the Flesh Pits to think about why he and the Lin Kuei were brought to the island of Shang Tsung for the Mortal Kombat tournament. Was it true? Were they brought here to aid Outworld in killing Earthrealm warriors? Whether this was right or wrong, his answers would have to wait as the Tarkatan Baraka approaches, with Sheeva of the Shokan with him.

Cyrax: [Baraka snarls] What are you doing? I'm not here to fight you. I'm assigned to kill Johnny Cage.

Sheeva: [Steps in front of Baraka] Shang Tsung no longer has need of you.

Cyrax: [Confused] What do you mean?

Sheeva: He is terminating your agreement. And you!

0:23/1:43

After receiving a Flawless Victory against Sheeva, Cyrax was determined to get some answers.

Cyrax: I need to have a talk with your master.

Baraka: [Rushes in] This fight is not over.

Cyrax: [Scoffs] You mean to finish me? You couldn't even stop the actor!

1:56/4:23

Cyrax: Now this fight is over. [Looks down at Baraka and Sheeva; realizes] Shang Tsung has turned on me. I need to find out why.

Cyrax leaves the bridge and makes his way to the arena, where Sektor and Shang Tsung are see talking. He looks over to Raiden who shoots him a nod, which tells him the time for answers to his question is time.

CyraxL [Approaches] Sektor, we need to talk. Our host tried to have me killed.

Shang Tsung: You were speaking with the thunder god. Your indescretion has jeopardized my plan.

Sektor: [Interjecting] Cyrax is Lin Kuei. He will complete his task.

Shang Tsung: [Turns away] We shall see. The next match will be Cyrax... versus Johnny Cage.

Johnny Cage: What, me? All right then.

The actor, now wearing a different set of clothes, approaches the middle of the ring for his next fight in the tournament.

Johnny Cage: Not everyone gets to rumble with a celebrity. Ready for your beatdown, Sunshine? Here it comes!

5:20/7:10

Cyrax: That should shut you up.

The Lin Kuei walks over to the fallen Johnny Cage and picks him up by the neck, ready to do his task for Shang Tsung.

Shang Tsung: Finish him!

Johnny gags as Cyrax looks over to Raiden, who shakes his head in objection. The Thunder God can't physically interject in the Mortal Kombat tournament, but he can aid Earthrealm in the fight against Outworld.

Cyrax: [Makes decision] I won't kill him!

He lets Johnny Cage go and walks away, angering Shang Tsung and receiving a suspicious look by Sektor, who follows him to the garden.

Sektor: [Looking for answers] You were commanded to kill Johnny Cage. You disobeyed.

Cyrax: I eliminated him from the tournament. He didn't need to die.

Sektor: You have broken your oath.

Cyrax: I used my judgment!

Sektor: The Cyber Initiative will eliminate insubordination.

Cyrax: We are not machines, Sektor. I chose to serve the Lin Kuei. But I will not surrender my free will!

Cyrax was ready to give up his spot in the tournament to prove that the Lin Kuei should speak out against the Grand Master's plan to turn them into machines, but Sektor wasn't going to let him have the satisfaction of leaving the clan just like that.

8:05/9:26

Cyrax: Tell the Grand Master I am finished.

Sektor: [Looks up at him] No one leaves the Lin Kuei...

Cyrax proceeds to kick Sektor in the head, knocking him out. If he wasn't going to listen to reason and speak out against the Grand Master, his own father, then Sektor left Cyrax no other choice. He was no defecting from the Lin Kuei, but would siding with Raiden prove to be the right choice in the long run? Only time would tell as the tournament nears its end.

Word Count: 620