chapter ten

It had only been a day since Valentine's last interaction with Greyson and he was still caught up on everything that had happened.

He wasn't sure why he acted like that but something about Greyson insinuating that he was bad at his job or that he was lacking at what he was paid to do made him mad.

It made him more than mad, it made him livid.

Valentine had everything under control. He could work the two jobs. He could provide for his family. He could keep his babies happy.

He could do anything as long as it meant his children were okay. Anything at all.

He's done it his whole life, he just had to do it a while longer.

That was a lie, of course. Lies were how Valentine made it through the day. Telling himself that he'd be okay if he just kept moving for a few more hours, a few more days, a few more months.

It's gotten him this far so who was he to question it?

"You gonna take a break for lunch?" Valentine hears Maverick ask, breaking him from his work-filled haze.

"Not right now," He replies shyly, never really knowing how to return Maverick's small talk and chit-chat throughout the work day.

He wasn't used to big, strong men being nice to him.

Big, strong, attractive men, Valentine thinks.

A big, strong, attractive man that he isn't sure even likes him anymore.

After last night he wouldn't be very surprised.

Valentine was sure Greyson would go to Maverick as soon as they left the diner and tell him about his second job. He was certain he'd come into work today and get the same reaction from the man that he'd gotten from Greyson the night before.

But no, everything was normal. Well, as normal as they got for Valentine.

He couldn't help but wonder when the shoe would drop though.

When something would happen that would make Maverick finally truly hate him just like Greyson did.

"You never stop moving, do you?" He hears Maverick ask. When he looks up from his computer he sees the man chuckling softly as he shakes his head.

"W-What do you mean?" Valentine asks.

"You're just always doing something for someone else. I'm waiting for the day you do something for you." He says, his joyful expression quickly morphing into worry... maybe even pity. Valentine isn't sure. But he does wonder how Maverick was able to read him so quickly.

The man seemed to unlock his mind in less than a few weeks.

It was terrifying.

"I-I do things for me." He says quietly, trying to convince himself as well as Maverick.

"Like what?" The man has a grin on his face as he asks but his eyes don't look very happy.

Valentine ponders for a while, trying to find any time recently that he's done something for himself.

Other than allowing himself the scraps of Luca's meals or a lukewarm shower he doesn't come up with much.

"I think that says everything," Maverick says as he grabs his things and advances towards the door, stopping when he gets next to Valentine's desk.

The room is awkwardly silent for a few moments before Maverick speaks again. "Breaks are paid for, hon, use them." He finishes, moving with confident strides out of the office.